Temp to add FO

I don't think Jonsie is adding her FO at 250. I personally don't know of anybody that would heat their wax to 250 degrees that is way too hot, let alone add the FO at that high of a temp. IMO it's not only dangerous but, heating the wax to that high of a temp will burn the wax. Crisco for cooking is different you are frying something:confused:.

I understand that your questioning because you have come to trust this person, and I don't think your asking bad questions. The bad question is the one that is never asked. The people here on the board are being thoughtful warning you about her practices, because it is very dangerous the way she is making her candles. Safety needs to always be 1st.

I'm glad you came here to ask, you have gotten some very good advice from the others and I hope to hear more from you soon, any question, anytime is all right with me.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Horsescents, I can imagine it is confusing with a lot of conflicting information. I can't help but wonder why we haven't completely scared you away!

Higher temperatures are what I strive against, because the higher the temperature, the greater the safety risk. I started this thread because I want to accomplish my candle goals with as low a temperature as possible. (and by the way, Soy327 is right, I don't heat my wax to 250, lol)

To summarize what I have learned since starting this thread is that:

--> temperatures in the 185 range are ideal for dispersing the dyes into the wax, so if you are coloring your candles, you pretty much need to start with your wax at a higher temperature

--> fragrance oils are sensitive to wax temperature. Consult with your FO supplier for the ideal temperature to add the FO for your wax type. NGC recommends using the Flash Point as a gauge: the higher the FP, the higher temperature you should add your FO. I know first hand that some citrus FOs have much better HT and fragrance when added at lower temperatures.

So it sounds like I'm stuck with the higher temperatures, lol.

Thanks everyone. Any other advice is always appreciated!

Are you talking about 200 F or degrees. :)

That's what I'd like to know too, cuz the chandler I bought my 6006 wax from said to usually heat to 200, then remove from heat, add dye, mix, add FO, mix, then pour at 150. But she said I could also heat to 215. AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!! :P

Are you talking about 200 F or degrees. :)
All my references to temperatures in this thread have been in Fahrenheit, and not Celsius (and both are in degrees, by the way). Hope that answered your question.