Opinions???

Bernadette

I found this candle for sale on the internet. I thought it would be fun to see what everyone thought. As pretty as it is, do you think it's safe "as is" ...that is, wicked? I have an opinion, as I tried this several years back, but will hold off telling it until we have a few other opinions. The main reason I decided against the design is that I ship everything, and this would be a bear to ship. Found a company back then that would make a special "protective" plastic gizmo for the top, but wanted an astronomical set up and minimum order, which seemed "iffy" not knowing how the design would be received.

[ATTACH]21370[/ATTACH]

post-2975-13945847722_thumb.jpg

I would definitely think there is a huge risk of it spilling over. I would hope they were selling it as decorative only!

No, they were not selling it as decorative only. The other pictures, as well as this one, which was larger, clearly shows a wick. One was lit, but just lit, I might add.

I tried this design years ago. It was pretty in solid colors, but you should have seen it in mixed colors. It was gorgeous! But, yes, it overflowed every time. So I tried the forever route. Packed those "sticks" of gel nice and tight around the tealight cup(a votive made the glass somewhat unstable) so you couldn't even see it. Perfect, I thought. But when the tealight had been burning a few minutes the gel "sticks" would start to melt from the funnel for heat that they formed, and they'd drown out the tealight. What a mess.

As far as decorative goes, what a bear to keep clean! I kept one for some time. You couldn't shake, swab, etc. without the "sticks" starting to or actually breaking. The only way to really do it was to put it under a glass dome. I couldn't see anyone paying what it would cost in time and effort to make, decorative or not.:tiptoe:

Very pretty but messy!!! I did do some of the chunks in gel in various colors & they were beautiful but the longer they sat the colors blended together. I agree with trying to keep uncovered gel clean almost impossible!!

True, but I've found that if you keep them out of the sun, and at a constant temp(climate controlled environment), you can keep them for at least a couple years without fading or blending together.

• 6 months later...

If you are going to make one of these, there should not be any mess at all. Wicks are designed to burn a specific diameter, you simply choose a wick that is a touch smaller than the diameter of the top of the container. I used to make these about 10 years ago along with the slushies. They are pretty easy to make, to get the strips i just poured my dyed and scented gel into a tupperware container, let it cool, then cut it into strips. I wicked the bottom of these candles just like a normal candle (at the bottom of the container with a simple tab) then poured the candle. Add the layer strips to the top working one layer at a time. For the slushies, you want to pull the gel apart, not cut it. Pulling it apart makes it clear and rouch around the edies and makes it look like ice.

Wicks are designed to burn a specific diameter, you simply choose a wick that is a touch smaller than the diameter of the top of the container.

Well, sure, but where does the melted wax in the MP go? Without a solid containment, it would be easy for these to overrun since so much of the wax is above the container itself. The candle in the OP's post looks like many I have seen on the CPSC's recall list!

Say what??? I have no idea what you are talking about. I never mentioned wax. I hope you realize there is a very big difference between wax and versagel. Have you ever seen a candle after it is burned? The hydrocarbons burn off, kind of like, "evaporating", hence forth, there is no gel to spill over the edges.....