J50 or 4630 for blending?

Hello all! On Monday I'll be ordering candle supplies, after not having made a candle for over a year. This time around I want to try something different, and that is blending GB464 with either J50 or 4630. Any recommendations on using either of those waxes for blending?

I've used both of the paraffin waxes before (not together!) but I've never worked with soy, and am hoping that I'll be pleasantly surprised with the blended results. TIA for replies!

Thank you Beans and Steve for replying. I've already ordered the J50 but will order the 4630 next if I'm not satisfied.

Love your avatar Steve :yay: My son's in the army, stationed at Fort Carson and getting ready for deployment to Afghanistan.

BTW, I'm right down the street from you, in Lynchburg.

Happy Candlemaking!

Karen

Update...I've made 14 test candles, using different ratios from 90% J50/10% 464 down to 90% 464/10% J50, with pouring temps from 120 to 170, and I'm sad to say that none of them are worth talking about. I'm using 7% CS pumpkin souffle FO and an 8 oz jj. Testing with eco, zinc, and cd wicks.

It's been a while since I've made candles, and I've never worked with soy, so I'm not surprised that it's taking a while to get back in the groove of things. What I am surprised about is that the candles with a high percentage of J50 seem to have no HT/CT at all. J50 has always had such an awesome throw before! Am I correct in thinking the pouring temp has no effect on HT/CT but only on the appearance of the candle? Some of the candles I made four days ago are beautiful, smooth tops, no wet spots...and scentless. Any suggestions?

Throw out the pumkin souffle, I can't get any HT from it either very disappointed. It also say Candles only soooo what to do with it. Someone else here said the same thing but I don't remeber who it was. Try another FO.

NO way!! Pumpkin souffle throws like crazy for me. My only complaint about it tho is that to me it smells burnt.

It throws great for me in GG Palm, but could never get the wicking quite the way my paranoid, anal-retentive self liked in my containers, so only sold votives and pillars (feather and featherburst). Sorry for the continued hijack :smiley2:.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks, everyone! Iwantitgreen, you are so right!! I've almost used 8oz of this FO, adding from 6-8% per candle, and nearly every one smells completely burnt...I didn't know what to think! I will definitely search pumpkin souffle...I've searched nearly everything else...tempering, HT/CT, J50, blending, wicking, throw it out the window :)

My kitchen table is covered with burnt-smelling pumpkin souffle candles and this morning I was sitting here wondering what combinations I would try today---and now I don't have to...thank you! :yay:

The only other FO's that I have now are mango papaya, very vanilla, oakmoss & amber, coconut lime, and strawberry shortcake...all from CS. Anxious to see what happens!

Parasoy for me. If you search pumpkin+souffle I think you find quite a bit about it.

You are right, I never thought about searching the FO. I will do that. The reason I'm on this thread is lately, I've been thinking about adding a little paraffin in with my soy to see how I like it and If my testers like it. So I was looking at the 4630 or 4627.

Been doing alot of searching on paraffin. :tiptoe:

Karenanne, I will be watching for your results with antisipation. Good luck.

Edited by soy327

You are right, I never thought about searching the FO. I will do that. The reason I'm on this thread is lately, I've been thinking about adding a little paraffin in with my soy to see how I like it and If my testers like it. So I was looking at the 4630 or 4627.

Been doing alot of searching on paraffin. :tiptoe:

I used to blend 4627 with 415 but had trouble with air-pockets and sometimes the candles would be cracked on account of it. I'm now blending with 6006 and like that better. I'm still messing around with ratios.