Question for the Master Mixologists

ProudMarineMom

Sorry if this is a stupid question. But, for those of you that blend fragrances, do you blend and use immediately? Or, let them sit for a day or two before using? Does mxing then waiting help the fragrances meld together?

I'm thinking of it like a marinade, needs time for the flavors to blend together. Did a couple of blends and put on test strips. Been a couple of days and I really like the fragrance. So, wasn't sure if one method is better than the other to get the fragrance like it smells on the strip.

Thanks for any tips!

J

It's best to wait so the scents can blend. I put some q-tips in a bag, didn't really like the combo so I set it aside and forgot about it for well over a month. When I ran across it again, the scent was nothing like what I had smell when first mixed...it was a fantastic blend. Now if I could only remember what I mixed :laugh2:

This is what was so interesting about the perfume swap I got into. The blends there were to marinate (as you put it) over time (like a month if you didn't accidentally bump into your set up and send it crashing to the floor like moi did.) The scents will marry over time and the longer they sat, some really mellowed out quite a bit too. Others tended to fade or went from a really harsh mentholish blend into something that actually could stand a chance if blended with the right combination of another base note.

So if you're up to playing around, test something out weekly for at least a month and see what you end up thinking about it too.

When I'm blending I mix up a small bottle of stuff together. I do sniff tests to decide what to put in. I start by lining up bottles and sniffing the air above them to see what stuff seems overpowering and what blends nicely together. I then blend them into a bottle making careful notes of what I've added. I've found that when it's "right" it has a slightly mood altering affect. You feel it. I usually mix until I can pick out each scent and then alter until I get something that gives the emotional reaction and call it done. If I'm being really good I would do this on paper with drops of oil but I find that I tend to drown my paper before coming to a final decision so I don't always bother.

It's better if the bottle can sit some before using because it will change, but when dealing with fragrances in body products you have to expect some change because of body chemestry. For example musk and lilly smell aweful on me because I tend to give scents a vanilla edge so they just get soapy when they touch my skin. On other people the reactions are different. I love musk on other people. So I find that even though the scent will change if I get it to the "hitting all of the notes and combining into a cohesive unit" point at the start then as it ages one or another scent will come out and that will change when it's in use. This happens to a lesser extent with candles too. With my Earth oil I thought it was honeysuckle heavy at first. After it aged and in cold throw my oakmoss notes come out more. While it's burning I smell the cypress strongest. I put it in a perfume and had friends testing it & just this last weekend the chamomile which I had thought I had lost came out strong and beautiful after a friend wore it for 15minutes. It was awesome & the chamomile never smelled that true anytime other than on his skin. Even though it's often different the parts work together and that's a way that I know it's good.

With FO, I usually let it sit a few days and marinate. It is important to test it in a little something before committing to the blend, though. Like a perfume oil if you are doing B&B. Mix it with some type of carrier oil, and try it on your skin. That way, you can judge the smell of the first notes that hit you once you put it on, and once it blends with your skin chemistry to smell the dry down/bottom notes.

My experience with EO's and resins... the longer you let it sit, the better it gets (if it's a good blend! lol)

Thanks so much for all the information and tips! I really appreciate it. Wasn't sure if I was out in left field or what. Just noticed a big difference by letting them sit for a couple of days.

Scented, I think you've mentioned that you use test tubes. Did you get those from like a science supply store?

cedar_lea, some very good info and techniques.

Thanks everyone!!

J