Cant figure this out.

I have been testing 15 different candles and am having problems with 3 not burning correctly. I am using GB415 wax 1 oz of F/O from Candlewic and 1 reddi-glo dye chip in my formula. This may sound wierd but I am only having problems with the red colored candles. I have wicked up 3 times up to a cd14 now and still cannot get away from the tunneling. My first burn (3 HOURS) was great with even pool,depth, throw etc... Now my 2nd and 3rd is tunneling badly and I've noticed color seperation when cooled. I can see yellow looking wax seperating from the red color. It looks horrible. The hang up is not catching up at all. I add my color at 130 stir until dissolved then add my F/O and stir for 2 minutes. I pre heat all my containers and pour at 90 degrees and do the exact same thing with each candle. The jars are 10 oz and are 3 inches at the top. I know this is not normal and was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. I am hoping someone could chime in and help. Hopefully I have given all the info needed.

Tina

I'm not an expert here, but just me thinking and pondering. Since it is only happening with the red ones, I wonder if it has something to do with the red dye. Have you tried this scent without dye or a different dye color to see if you can get it to burn and wicked correctly?

Just a shot in the dark here, but it sounds like they are overwicked. Overwicked candles tunnel just like underwicked ones, and the color seperation sounds like the wax is getting too hot. I have never had trouble with a certain color causing any issues, but have limited experience with soy candles (work in palm). My suggestion is to wick down on one and make one the exact same as the original but without the red dye.

HTH,

Steve

I have always preferred liquid candle dye but at this point, I don't use color at all. The wick sounds about right for that diameter. I use cd16 to 18 depending on the fo. I would look at the three fos (bakery with lots of vanilla or cinnamon are real wick cloggers) or maybe look at the wax to see if the dye didn't dissolve completely. HTH

Steve

It seems to me that 130 is too cool to fully dissolve a chip. I tried that wax at one point and I def don't think a 14 is too big for a 3 incher. I hated that wax. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

JMO, of course :smiley2:

Edited by nursenancy

I only had 1 oz samples of these F/O's so thats what Ive used. The three red colored ones are all different scents. I cant test the same F/O's with different colors because I dont have any more at this time.

Tina

If all of the other suggestions don't work, I would suggest filing away those test notes and place some more FO in your shopping cart the next time you place an order.

Well I did take alot of notes while making and testing so the F/O happens to be one I like. I just ordered more of it and will test it again with a different color. I will have to determine if its the dye or not. The color is definately not the (P) type from reddig-glow. I've considered liquid dyes but then the test starts all over again. Possibly in the future. For now I am trying to perfect the system I am using before I jump into a different one.

Thanks for all the responses.

Tina