Massage balm

Scented

This is not my recipe, but I do like those kind of measurements LOL!

ProudMarineMom, I honestly think the glycerin is in there for both purposes, but I've really no idea why. I'm not a hydrovance fan, but I might oughta be during winter if it can draw some moisture into my skin. When I get the opportunity, I will try it with cetyl, with hydrovance and anything else anyone wants to suggest.

And I may try that castor wax too. I know I have some and I know I thought about the same thing in terms of trying it in lip balm.

Edited by Scented

Have you ever read things from swiftcraftymonkey's blog. She has some great stuff there. I have her ebook "Back to Basics" and love it. Well worth the donation to her her youth group. Beware you can get lost in her blog! There is so much info in there. Her research is amazing. I am sure there are lots of ideas for you to try.This is for thickeners but there is a whole section on balms in the blog which may help you.. http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/

Another thought....

if you are melting your menthol crystals in with your other oils, you may be "burning" of the majority of the scent that comes with them.

Melt them first in your EO or FO then add that as you normally would.

You will probably see that it is REALLY STRONG. Thus the reason to not use that high of a %.

HTH

Actually I know they are strong. I melted the things in the microwave (likely a no no, but I didn't wake up the next morning stuffy.) It definitely cleared the air in my five room place in every room. It was fine with me that the strength wasn't there, but ... just was trying the recipe and have a lot of crystals with a partner wondering when the hell am i going to do something with them. Wish he would have been there ...

I agree that it appears the addition of another butter to stiffen the shea, be it kokum or cocoa would make sense as would a small amount of beeswax. I would only caution that the use of mineral oil be minimized. It seems that it can have a tendency to clog pores and most of the references I've read don't usually recommend it for massage use.

Maybe I missed it, but where did the mineral oil come from?

OK even with using a similar recipe (no menthol crystals though) this isn't going to be hard enough. Now to find that dang cetyl and give it a go. I'm thinking the smart thing to do may just be to make these in jars, seal them and let it be!