Can Anyone Advise On Best Way To Ship? I Am Baffled

tomj888

Hi,

I'm new on this board and also started a new candle business just this month. I thought shipping would be easy. My site builder has a place to just put in say, UPS or Fed Ex, etc. When I moved cross country a couple of years ago, I had shipped boxes of stuff at UPS and the rates were really good, better than at the post office and service was great. So I thought ok, UPS will be great.

I had one of my first orders a couple of weeks ago but was waiting for supplies to come in. The client was very nice about it, I promised her I would ship it today. I packed it in a small box and put lots of packing peanuts all around it, the box was totally stuffed. It was not very heavy at all. I went to a UPS store in my neighborhood and the man running it had a freak out when I told him it contained glass and insisted it would break if I didn't let him re-pack it in a larger box. I honestly think it would have been fine but I was very tired and in a hurry so I said okay. He rang up ground shipping and told me it was $20!!! I just about fell out. He also charged me $7 for an old cardboard box he pulled out of his shipping room and extra peanuts. I felt very ripped off, but was so tired from my work week, etc, and just went ahead and did it. Had I been less tired and thinking more clearly, I would have told him to shove it and gone down the street to the post office that is open til 3 on Saturdays.

I was really upset and angry over this. Obviously, a small biz owner can't make any money with these rates. For now, I have changed the shipping on my site to only USPS.

A friend suggested this happened because I went to a private UPS store and not the actual UPS service. I don't know if this is true or not. How do you guys ship product and keep costs down? What is the best way to do this? I am also wondering the best places to get boxes and mailing labels? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks so much!

Yes its true its a private UPS store they will ALWAYS try and repackage for you and upcharge. You just have to say no.

I use USPS flat rate as much as possible, because hardly any candles weigh less than 13oz, and once you top that you cant use first class, so it hops to priority which is very costly... The best way to do it is try and convince buyers to fill themselves a medium flat rate box. $10.70, and they can get up to six candles in there generally.

Definitely don't go to those private mailing places. They charge extra fees. If you use UPS go to the UPS pickup.

I quit using UPS as the shipping fees are much higher for the majority of my customers I ship to. USPS priority mail and flat rate priority are much cheaper. Plus you can go online and order the boxes for free. Now they have even cheaper regional rate boxes too if you open a click n ship account and print out your own postage. Priority ships in 2-3 days but most of my customers get their packages in one shipping day.

I was shocked when I went t the UPS store. You would think they would get an awesome rate so that would be their percentage.

Now if I ship UPS I will do it online and drop off. Flat rate boxes - never the right size for what I need.

I prefer to use Fedx currently. I have had some problems with my UPS distribution center. Fedx Home Delivery is usually cheaper than UPS plus by doing it online I get 8% off. My local drop off is the local printing shop.

I use USPO when I really have to and it is cheaper than Fedx. Parking for our post office is very limited and at times the line is out the door and who wants to stand in the rain/snow/beastly heat with boxes?

Trudi

Edited by NaturallyTru