Soaping Pops

chuck_35550

My last two batches have turned out nicely but the colors are very pastel. I used Scented's advice and mixed my pops with some glycerin and used the sb before adding soap. I used about 1/8th of a tsp to about a cup of soap batter and the colors were very smooth but not not popping. I poured in unscented batter on my second batch (cause these fos accelerate) and found I had plenty of time to play once I added the fo to the main batter. How the heck do you get vivid color without coloration of your suds?

Steve

I think color is more difficult to achieve in soap than fragrance.

Other than saying, "next time use more," I would go slowly and take copious notes. Not all the dyes/colors/pigments produce the same saturation at the same usage rate. For some darker or more saturated colors you have to tiptoe up to the line of overload as to avoid colored suds.

I reread your post and 1/8 tsp. was used in 1 cup soap and then added to more soap and mixed in? What was the total amount of soap you wanted to color? If you tried adding the 1/8 tsp. to 10 pounds of soap, this may explain the pastel. Without knowing how much soap you wanted to color, we can't give an approximate amount to use.

I used that for swirling. The main batter was left as is which had a slightly yellow tint on the second one but the other formula was a very white soap. The swirls are very soft and pastel and don't show up very well against the background. I'll try and post some pics later on.

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

Here is the method that i have found works best for me

1) I use a 16 oz solo cup and put in 1 tsp of glycerin

2) i add 1/2 of mica (pops in this case)

3) I use a frother to mix it all up. got it at walmart.com for 10 bux http://www.walmart.com/ip/BonJour-Oval-Frother-with-Stand-Silver/14892514?sourceid=1500000000000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=14892514

4) once i have all my colors mixed up and smooth I mix in my lye and bring it to a very thin trace.

5) add about 14 oz of thin soap to the cups (you can use less for smaller batches)

6) mix it well with the stick blinder.

7) by the time you get it all mixed up your soap should be around medium trace.

8) pour in fragrance oil to unscented soap

9) do 1 pot swirl method or layer in mold!

I had a lot of issues in the beginning because most of the pops can come out very light. I had a Honeysuckle that i was doing what i though was a light yellow , dark yellow , pink and bright red. It came out looking like yellow and orange :( not quite the pretty i was looking for lol

yep certain pops you have to be heavy handed with. Orange and yellow for sure. Raspberry needs a bit more for a good red too, but not a ton. I dont get colored suds and I use alot

...as much as 1/2 tsp for a good deep orange swirl, I'd say that 1/2 tsp was in 4-5oz total.

Edited by LuminousBoutique