(SG) Dragons Blood vs Dragons Blood (CS)

lsbennis

I need to order some more Dragons Blood for a scent blend I use. I have SG Dragons Blood which I love, but I don't need anyting else from them and their DB is $26 per lb. I need a few things from CS and I know they have Dragons Blood which is $16 per lb, so my question is those of you that use CS Dragons Blood and are familiar with SG Dragons Blood, are they close?

I never smelled the original Dragon's Blood, so I don't have a basis for comparison to the original. But, have used the FO from both Tony and Candle Science as well as Nature's Garden.

I love this FO from Tony's. It has that very nice musky/sandalwood fragrance and you can really smell the sweetness from the orange and cedar.

Candle Science OOB you can definitely smell the patch and then the musk/sandalwood. The sweet notes are more faint. If you were to pick the bottle up and sniff, you would think 70's fragrance. It does well in wax but I haven't soaked this in incense yet nor tried a side-by-side test with Tony's.

I'm not sure how 'close' I would call them. If you were using the FO straight, you could definitely tell the difference. Maybe in a blend the differences would be more subtle. But, you'll have to test to see what it does to your recipe. My preference would be Tony's. Depth and richness, those are very good descriptions for his FO.

I just got a sample from Elements a few days ago. I haven't done anything more than sniff it. I really like it, but my housemate pointed out that it's a very green dragonsblood. It smells more like the dragons blood plant than the resin. I thought it was a really good description.

So is there one of those others than smells more like resin than plant? It would be wonderful to be able to pick different ones for different purposes.

I had been getting Dragon's Blood from NuScents - but once again they discontinued something that was working for me ( I don't get too many FO's from them - most aren't up to snuff).

A customer commented that this was the truest Dragon's Blood he had smelled in ages (figures - now I am out of it).

I got the DB from Elements - ok, but definitely not the same in richness, depth and character.

I will have to check out SGS then - sounds like it might be comparable.