Melting Clamshell

jillybeancandles

I melted a clamshell(impacts) after pouring wax from my warmer into it. (no problems with them melting when originally pouring, just re pouring after the wax lost its scent) It even melted all the way causing it to leak. I have had them mis-shape, but not leak. I did not have this problem with my clamshells from Millcreek. Have any of you had this problem or is it just a one time thing?

I guess I am confused. I've never poured used wax from a warmer back into a clamshell. It usually goes in the garbage. If there is still scent throw left (which is rare), I may put it in the freezer in the warmer dish until it hardens and pops out for use at a later date. I'm surprised to hear that a clamshell will melt from liquid wax melted in a warmer. I didn't think they got that hot. What kind of warmers are you using?

When I make clamshells, I usually pour at 160. I have heard of others pouring palm into clamshells at 180 or so. Personally, I have been afraid to pour that hot because I don't want my clamshells to distort in shape.

I have poured palm into clamshells at about 165 degrees and never had a problem. But I have run into a batch of clamshells that won't take it. Both types of clamshells came from the same company in the same order! The only difference is one has a circular pattern on the base of each cube and one does not. The "circle" clamshells took the heat, the other did not. I believe this was discussed somewhere, but don't remember in what thread. I have attached a couple of picks in case it helps. The purple clamshell is the circle one and did not melt, the ivory one is the non-circle clamshell and you can see how it tried to melt at the same temperature. This clamshell also seems to be slightly more flexible. Maybe you received some of these.

So hope this might help a bit.

Cheers,

Steve

post-12326-139458476061_thumb.jpg

post-12326-139458476066_thumb.jpg

The "circle" clamshells took the heat, the other did not.

The ones I have ordered from Mill Creek have the circle on the bottom. Every once in a while (maybe 1 out of 500) I get one that is a little thin in a corner and it will melt. But theirs hold almost 3.2 oz to capacity and are the larger ones available. From what I understand they may not be from Impact ~ Mill Creek may have their own molds.

I also pour around 160.

Edited by Judy, USMC
pour temp

My warmer is the Snowman Illumination from Candlewarmers, ect. I usually throw mine right in the trash, but was testing the clamshells because some of my customers pour the wax back in before throwing if away.

What do you tell your customer to do with the old wax?

I tell my customers to throw it in the trash, we use 415 and its bio-degradable.