starting a website

aprillynn

Hello everyone, I was looking to see if anyone had any luck with building your own website and what webhost you used. I've been tossing it around to either hire someone or do it myself and since I'm looking for simple to start I thought trying myself would be a good start point. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

I made my first one through DoDaddy and when I could not figure out a shopping cart, I hired someone to do a website for me. It has a template where I can add or delete, update or whatever AND a shopping cart. I actually wish I had hired someone to develop my website in the beginning because I spent a lot of time on it that I could have been doing something else.

I started mine a while back and it was a pretty expensive process to get the site up and running, but now I just pay a fee each month for hosting, and I really can do anything I want with mine. As many products as I can imagine, as many pages as I want, and all of them can be easily modified to look the way I want, as if I was editing a word document. I use www.websiteforge.com. They also have a really good tech support, but again it costs more than other website companies, but in my opinion is well worth it because they don't have any limits and hidden costs, the way some of the other ones, like GoDaddy seem to.

Here's my website www.westroadcandles.com and I just used a stock template (of which they have like 200) and customized it to look the way I wanted.

Hope that helps. It's a big decision to make!!

Cary

I used/use ShoppePro as my webhost and they are wonderful. I did the DIY Template. They offer alot of online help as well as online chat support. They have been wonderful to work with and it's very affordable. I highly recommend. You can check out my website to see what I've done with the DIY Template, sprinklesbathandbody.com, they also offer a ton of free templates if you don't want to do the DIY Template. Let me know if you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Thank you

Julie

www.zencart.com Its totally free.... The support forum there helped us get going relatively fast ( 4 years ago) It does take alot of tweaking but once set up it runs super smooth... Hosted at www.camelothosting.com Excellent host and Tony is excellent in customer service..... There are many other good hosts for zencart May also look at oscommerce and cube cart... both arre free too and built on relatively the same platform.

I used/use ShoppePro as my webhost and they are wonderful. I did the DIY Template. They offer alot of online help as well as online chat support. They have been wonderful to work with and it's very affordable. I highly recommend. You can check out my website to see what I've done with the DIY Template, sprinklesbathandbody.com, they also offer a ton of free templates if you don't want to do the DIY Template. Let me know if you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Thank you

Julie

I want to eat everything on your site...:) Great site. Now I know where to go for some fun gifts.

You guys are awesome! I will check them all out and see what I can do first and if I cant Ill fold and hire someone lol. Crazzie I dont know what pm means :/ isnt that horrible lol.

I'm not Crazzie, but PM means Private Message. You have to be here 30 days and have 8 posts before you can use the PM feature.

Here is a link that may be very helpful for you.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1802

• 3 weeks later...

If you're going to be designing the site yourself, any host with the cPanel application and management platform is solid. cPanel (usually) comes with the Fantastico De Luxe suite of software (for free) that makes anything you want to do as far as website creation, feasible: content management, polls, forums, customer service apps, shopping cart solutions, blogging, directories, you name it. I use a lot of the Fantastico De Luxe apps on my own site...

If you PM me I can give you some information on a great web developer - and cheap.

I need help adding a shopping cart to mine......it's making me crazy. I'm using tucows for everything and they are great but I only paid $36 for the year plus $3 a month for the enhanced shopping cart thing. I think it would be worth it to pay someone else to do it. Right now, my site just works as an online catalog and orders are generated by word of mouth but I want to be able to promote my site on facebook ect WITH shopping cart.

Great thread. Thanks!