pricing of your candles

ttasw13

I think the best way to determine your price is your cost and then factor in what your local market will bear. There are some communities where you might be able to charge more due to demand, or the relative "wealth" of your customer base. Packaging also makes a difference.

Well put Liz. You need to know your market to determine what price your products will sell for. Check local craft shows and candle shops to see what others are selling. The general rule of thumb for retail is 3x or more your cost to make it....but for me selling clamshells is like pulling teeth....most here don't buy them because they don't even know what a tart or wax melt is..so I only sell them for 2.00 but I make it up on my pillars which I charge 5x what it cost me to make it.

My 16oz Apothecary Jars are my most popular (Yankee is big around here, so people want something that looks comparable to fit their accessories they already have). I sell them for a little over 3 times my cost and people ask me how I can be so cheap. It's all about the perception. I'm a few dollars cheaper than Yankee and it works.