Primed vs. Non Primed wick?

Ok, I'm back to testing a new jar and wax combo.

Like most of you, I have a wide selection of wicks. I generally buy rolls of raw wick rather than primed and tabbed wicks, but I have a variety of those as well.

I see that some companies sell wax especially formulated for priming only - for those that want to prime a batch. Never tried it.

I tend to use the pour wax to prime the wick that I use from a roll. Either soaking it in the presto prior to the pour or letting it go lax and soak after the pour for a while then pulling it taught for the cooling (I also tend to pour hot).

I've not had any problem with either primed or roll wicks.

I use the primed ones in the pillars simply because they passed the burn test and work.

I use the non-primed in the containers simply because they work for the burn test and I have one container that works well with a primed wick that I have on hand.

So what are your thoughts about primed vs. non primed wicks?

Does it matter? Am I missing something? Does a primed wick do something that a non primed wick doesn't do?

Do we even care since the burn test is OK?

Edited by EricofAZ

Sounds like it really doesn't matter then if the wick is pre-primed at purchase, or primed by the chandler with the special priming wax, or primed by the chandler with the actual wax in the presto as long as something is done to it.

Ok, I'd rather continue to use the wick off the roll at the cheaper price and prime in the presto. I guess the special additives that some wicks have, like CDN's, are in the material not the primer.

Edited by EricofAZ