Shrooms!

Ok, I'm using 44-32-18 cotton wicks in a variety of applications. 3" dia. one pound pillars and 2 3/4 inch diameter tumblers mostly.

The tumbler is mostly IGI 6006

Sometimes a similar container with Mottling IGI 1274

Pillar is IGI 4725

I get the diameter that I am looking for. The flame height is fine. Power burns are fine.

The Pillars don't mushroom that much, but a little. The containers don't go wall to wall for the first half which is what I want, then it all catches up. However, the wick mushrooms like crazy. I'm thinking of spray painting the mushrooms and photographing them for abstract art contests.

Happens with all fragrances and all dyes.

Do I just assume the wick is prone to mushroom? What might I change to? Same size but paper? Zinc? I've read all the stuff about what causes mushrooms and I think I've ruled out the usual suspects.

Thanks.

I use zincs in my parasoy containers (jelly jars and mason jars) and they are prone to mushrooming. It annoys me but I also get the best scent throw and flame I want with a zinc than any other wick. Plus zincs burn cooler than cotton or cd's and I don't have problems with the glass getting too hot to the touch either.

Its not necessary to have wall to wall melt pool as long as the sides eventually catch up and burn down to the end of the candle. You should be wicking for the bottom burn of your jar candle anyway. I do get a full melt pool around the 2, 3, or 4th burn with the zincs depending on the FO.

All wicks mushroom at least a little while others a lot. So when I get a candle that burns the way and smells the way and consumes the wax the way I like it I feel pretty good about it. Its always a tradeoff with candlemaking.

Ok, thanks, Einstein and I were thinking that it was just US! Either that or we learned a new way to grow pine cones.

I do like how the wick handles the pillars and the container with the chosen wax.

BUT, its time to test again. I'm switching to different jars and testing out J50 and J223 so I'll re-wick with that.

Thanks for the re-assurance.