Question on Candle Parties

joyofsoycandle

I said the same thing you're saying 5 years ago. Trust me, it just takes practice, and the more comfortable and positive you are about your products the easier it is.

One thing that helped me was practicing my speech. I wrote down what I wanted to say, then I read it over and over till I knew it by heart. Then I did it in front of family and they had no problems letting me know what I was doing wrong or right.

After a few times doing a party it will come so easy for you. And I can guarantee, no one was any more shy than I was. Good luck.

http://www.candlemaking.org.uk/candleparties.html

It does get easier...practice with family or friends. Explain to your guests that it is your first time and you are nervous. Hand out cards asking for feedback - what was good, what needs improvement. Draw from the feedback cards and give away a gift. (Encourages them to fill out something!) Then take the suggestions and compliments to heart.

Just like anything else, the more you do it the more you learn & the better you get.

i suffer from anxiety disorder now so i rarely speak to anyone or leave the house (!!) but i was a software salesman by profession and did many presentations to the chairmen of large international companies. i never got used to them but there are methods which were of help:

- firstly, be yourself. you want these strangers as friends so talk with and not merely to them.

- once you have your speech written then reduce it to just 'pointers', simple code words on a small card, which prompt you on to the next topic.

- if there are many people and you're feeling nervous then look at peoples' foreheads and not their eyes - they won't notice the difference and it enables you to keep 'eye contact' without actually having to look into their eyes.

- slow down. it's common for one to rush a presentation if nervous or new to it, take deep breaths and try to relax. you don't want to come across as a robot which spews out a sales pitch at high speed.

- lastly, enjoy that amazing feeling when the party is over - you got through it, perhaps made a bit of money, had a fun time and wondered why you were nervous in the first place!

good luck and best wishes :)