Too much Kaolin

ProudMarineMom

Ok, what happens if you put too much Kaolin in M&P soap. I did a dumb thing, thought I had the 1/2 tblsp measuring spoon but actually it was the 1 tblsp. So, I ended up putting 2 tablespoons of Kaolin in a pound of M&P. I normally would only use 1 tblsp.

I didn't notice anything major different using the bar in the shower. But, the dry bar does seem to be quite tacky. Could the extra Kaolin cause that? Also, this is also my first time using a SFIC base, so the base itself may normally be tacky.

Anybody have any insight on my bar of clay with a little soap? :smiley2:

I think the tackiness is your answer. Personally I would not go over 1 tbs of clay per lb of base.

You could always remelt it and add in more base to get rid of the tacky feeling.

Thats what I love about M&P is you can always remelt it and make something new again.:smiley2:

Candybee, do you use, or have you used, SFIC bases? Did the base/bar seem tacky to you at all? I did this with a pound of regular white base. I'm impressed with the hardness of the bar. And, the recipe I've been playing with seems to work well in the base, nice lather, decent bubbles and pretty moisturizing. I'm hoping it is just my mistake that caused the finished bar to be not quite what I wanted.

Yeah, I think that would probably be the best thing to do, melt it and try again. And mark the measuring spoons with something more permanant... :cheesy2:

I'm still rather new to SFIC and I notice a very slight tackiness but nothing that would put me off from buying it. I do LOVE the hardness of the bars! That low sweat clear/low sweat white is just like CP! They are like bricks! The stuff I used to buy from WSP was soft and went very quickly in the shower, whereas the SFIC doesn't. *too much info alert* The only problem I have with SFIC is that I end up having to use a syndet bar on "certain regions" because the SFIC doesn't agree with me. When I tested with SFIC, I used unscented soap so it wasn't even a scent issue! But the rest of me loooooooves SFIC!! :)*tmi alert over now* As far as adding too much kaolin, just melt it down and add more SFIC! That's the beauty of MP! Good luck playing with that soap! I've been sick all weekend and those co-op boxes have been sitting here mocking me! LOL I wanna make soap!

Asheebeans, thank you so much for the info, including the tmi! :cheesy2: Never hurts to know about these types of things. Wonder what ingredient in the soap 'disagrees' with you. So far, I haven't had that issue. I did notice that my hands were quite dry but the rest of me was fine. But, I also used a sugar scrub cube and may have moved wet laundry to the dryer before I really noticed. So, could have been related to other things. Will pay more attention.

Up to know my favorite has been the natural bases from Nature's Garden. But with the stuff I add, the bar was a bit soft. It did firm up nicely after a week or so. The SFIC was pretty much rock hard the next day. Seems to be lasting in the shower as well.

Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Hope you feel better soon!! I know what you mean, it's a lot of fun playing with this stuff.:yay: