Body Spray/Perfume Coloring

jeni18

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to color alcohol based body sprays and perfumes? All the colorants I've seen out there are listed as for use in creams, lotions, soaps, etc., but none for sprays. Is it possible to color alcohol based sprays and if so, with what? :cheesy2:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Jen

I'm not much help because I don't know the answer. But my .02 cents is that I don't think I would want to use a spray/perfume that is colored. I would be afraid it would color me or my clothes! I prefer a clear spray in a pretty bottle. It probably wouldn't stain, but the average consumer might think so. Now I want to know, so please tell us what you find out!

I'm sure there's a way since most of the mass manufactured perfumes are colored. I don't mind a clear spray in a clear bottle, but I do mind the sprays which come out an unattractive yellow shade because the oil is tinted that way :shocked2:...I know that I can always use a colored bottle but would like to find out if there's an alternative; the nicest bottles are clear.

I've never used micas or FD&C colors for lotions, etc., but I don't think they stain your skin (?)

Anyway I'll let you know what I find out - right now I'm hoping someone posts a response so you'll probably find out at the same time I do! :cheesy2:

I've been reading up on making body sprays, and I've seen them dip the end of a toothpick into the dye (liquid) and mix it into the alcohol base. That small amount shouldn't color anything excessively and you'll probably end up with a pastel color that way.

I use a cobalt blue bottle, black sprayer with a white/black label. It looks very nice and people love the body spray! I don't have to worry about cloudiness or yellowy spray that way. I used to get mine from WSP but may be looking elsewhere since their prices keep going up.

Thanks Brenda. One question: the only FD&C colors I've found are basic primary colors like red, blue and yellow. Do you know where I can find the pastel colors you mention?

Sorry for the delay, I didn't request instant notification on this post . . .sorry :(

If I am making a large batch I can get away with a full drop of color, but for smaller batches I do what Xraytech70 does. Use either a toothpick or the tip of a skewer to achieve pastel colors. I can get a pastel pink with red, a very light powder like blue with the blue, etc. I will blend the primary colors to get other colors if I need them.