Jump in Coconut Oil prices??

asheebeans

Just wondering if there is truly a jump in coconut oil (76 degree) prices. I got my WSP newsletter today and a statement about price instability of coconut oil was in there. :confused: I've gotten notices like that before and purchased (namely mason jars) and then magically the price goes back down! :mad:

I saw a little bump of a couple of dollars in the Coconut 76 at Soaper's choice. I figured I'd buy if it looked like it was really going to jump, but so far, it's been the same price for a couple of weeks. I heard they had weather problems where most of the coconut oil was produced and have shipped the same amount of oils they did ifor the whole of '09 in the first 7 months of this year, so demand is up also.

Wasn't Soapers Choice at $50 for a 50# bucket for quite a while? Noticed yesterday it was at $59.... I buy from a local restaurant supply; was paying $50 for 50#; today it was at $53 - - so the price is going up.... bought 5 buckets! (Watch, it'll drop since I invested the $$)

It could be weather related. We had an unusually cold summer last year and this year and the local growers (fruits & veggies) didn't produce as much. It makes sense that if the growing season isn't ideal that the trees would not produce as many coconuts or the quality of the coconuts may suffer. The worldwide olive/olive oil crop is supposed to be bad this year due to growing conditions, so hold onto your wallet.

I've noticed that most of the oils from my supplier have gone up 2 or 3 dollars in the past few weeks.