Wick Suggestions for 444 in Libbey 13 0z Tumblers and Status Jars

I am curently testing the Eco 12 and I am waiting for a shipment of Eco 14 wicks. I want to order other types of wicks to test and hope to get get some suggestions of where to begin from people who have tested with 444.

I have searched and searched an searched and I am confused now. It seems like every thread that starts off asking about a certain wax type gets misdirected and people start giving advice for other waxes instead.

I am using the GW444 and have both the Libbey 13.25 oz double old fashion tumblers and the Status (12 oz I think) jars to test in.

I would like to test wicks for the strongest HT from 444. I have coconut oil and I am waiting for some USA and Eco 14 wicks to come in. I am trying to gather as much info as I can so I get started in a good direction. I am thinking of ordering CD16, 18 and 20 wicks becuase I read that several people have been happy with the HT with them.

If anyone has tested 444 in these jars, I welcome any advice or suggestions you may have.

I also have a few pounds of 464 on order to compare HT. For me, hot throw is the number 1 concern. I don't mind using a heat gun to smoothe out tops if necessary and I don't use dye.

Thanks!!

Leigh

sorry I cant answer your questions as I dont use either of the waxes you do but I just wanted to say that as far as HT goes...I get much stronger ht from palm than I ever do when using soy.

Hopefully someone that uses either of those waxes can help you.

Good luck and have fun :)

sorry I cant answer your questions as I dont use either of the waxes you do but I just wanted to say that as far as HT goes...I get much stronger ht from palm than I ever do when using soy.

Hopefully someone that uses either of those waxes can help you.

Good luck and have fun :)

Thanks for the encouragment, Pixie. I must be suffering from some serious candle nose because I cannot smell my candles when I am in the house all day.

I forgot one of the LS Pumpkin Pickin burning and went to run errands today. :shocked2: When I got home about an hour and a half later I was amazed at how good the house smelled. :yay:

Eric,

I have been following your tests and really appreciate the info. I just received some 464, Eco 14s, Vybar, coco oil and large bottles of LS Pumpkin Pickin FO.

I will be conducting my own experiments comparing 444 and 464, Eco 12 and Eco 14, Vybar and Coconut oil to see which combination gives me the best HT from the 2 jars I mentioned.

Once I get this part narrowed down, I will probably test different wick types. I guess that is the hardest part. I have read a lot- maybe too much- so I am really trying to decide between CD, LX, Zinc and CSN wicks to test against the Ecos.

And I thought this was going to be easy.:rolleyes2

How did your 13oz tumbler do with the eco 12 and 14's? Ive noticed that there are some FO's that I cant get to burn in that jar with even the eco 16's and I dont think they make 18's.

I'm still waiting for the 14s to cure so no tests yet. So far with the 12s the LS pumpkin pickin started off with a full met pool then after a power burn it seems to have tunneled a bit. I have it buurning now and I think it will catch up.

I blended one of LS mandarin with lemon fo and that wick seems to be drowning out. The only time I got aany hint of HT was when I had it in a small bath.

My husband brought a LS apple hot baked pie to work (appx 1000 sf) and he said it smelled great. As I said before, I think I have candle nose because I can't smell a thing.

• 1 month later...

Do you have your wick test results for the 444 yet? I would love to know your results. I am new to candle making and have yet to have much luck. I don't use any coloring, but I do about 9% FO. I just made a large (6" container) using 2 Eco 10's and I'm getting tunneling. I thought I'd finally figured it out.. Guess not.

So far, the Eco 12 and 14 burned well in my jars. I can't get any throw from the Pumpkin Picin fo after a week curing time, but i had a Berry Creme Brule that cured for 3 weeks and it is amazing.

I have more of the Pumpkin curing and will test them at 2 weeks and 3 weeks before giving up on that fo. I poured some more Berry Creme Brule with Ecos, zincs and another type of wick. I forget which it was and I am too hungover to get up and go look.

I ordered some rrd and cd wicks and will pour some with those tomorrow. I had planned on working on them today but my overindulgence last night ruined that plan.*drunken posting*