Fragrance Disappointment...

MissMori

I ordered samples from here: http://www.carmiflavors.com/ What a MAJOR disappointment. I ordered guave, smells like nail polish remover; passion fruit, yeah there's some fruitiness to it, but smells more like chemical solvents; and sassafras, smells ok, I would characterize it as indifferent and weak oob.

My search continues for a supplier close enough to pick up orders a few times a year. I feel bad, quite a bit ungrateful, about putting them through the trouble of sending me samples and then disliking them so much.

Has anyone gotten anything they like from Carmi?

On the fragrance page it lists "beauty industry" as one of the industries they serve. On the sample page it requests information about your intended use. Isn't soap part of the beauty industry? Regardless, guava doesn't smell like nail polish remover, whatever you are going to use it for. If I was going to use this particular guava to scent a food item, I'd likely put off many customers.

If we all only stick to well known suppliers, no new business has an opportunity to become known and we could be missing out on a great source offering innovation or more competitive pricing. I'll keep looking for new suppliers and trying them out. In this case, it didn't cost me any $$$.

I make soap, bath bombs, scrubs, shower gel, and lip balm.

I wanted to edit to add: There is a fragrance that is listed for use only in candles by one of the suppliers and I wanted to use it in soap. When I contacted the supplier to inquire if they made the fragrance in a skin safe/soap safe form, I was told that they only reason it was not listed as safe to use in soap and other beauty/cosmetic applications is that it has not been tested. Meaning, it is safe on skin. I further inquired if the fo contained any components that would make it unsafe to use on the skin or that had been banned from being used on the skin, and was told, "no." I've been testing this particular fo in soap. So, when I'm looking at fragrances and find one that isn't listed as compatible with my application, I contact the supplier or manufacture to find out why. Sometimes an fo will contain a component that is unsafe/banned from use in products that come into contact with skin, therefore I will not use that fo. I have also inquired about fragrances that are not listed as appropriate to use in candles and was again told that the fragrance had not been tested.

Recently having this experience, I now wonder if there are more fragrances that are listed as appropriate for candles, but not soap, or vise versa, only because they have not been tested. If you go to Sweet Cakes, they have several fo's listed for use in everything except cp soap AND/OR provide the caveat that the fo has not yet been tested in cp. As my business grows and I am looking for unique fragrances and innovative ingredients, I'm asking a lot of questions from the manufacturers. I'm also searching high and low for alternate sources of ingredients.

Edited by MissMori