Tarts Smell BAD - Petroleum Smell

Shirlee

This has happened twice to me recently & I'm wondering if it has happened to anyone else & what the cause could be.

About 2 weeks ago I put some commercially produced tarts into my tart burner (Pumpkin Spice). After they had been in the burner for a while, I noticed a heavy odor of petroleum & my eyes were burning! I turned off the burner & let the wax harden. Usually I can just pop the wax out of the burner when it hardens but I couldn't do that with this wax & couldn't even cut/scrape it out. I had to put the burner tray into the freezer & then was able to get the wax out. Needless to say I threw away the rest of the tarts so unfortunately I can't tell you the brand.

Yesterday I put some privately made tarts into the tart burner. I bought these a couple months ago at a nearby gift shop. They smelled wonderful in their little celophane baggie ... a nice cranberry fragrance. However, when I started burning them in my tart burner, the same thing happened ... heavy petroleum odor & burning eyes.

I have no problems with any other tarts I've burned ... at least not yet ... but these 2 were horrible! Was it caused by bad/cheap FO perhaps ... or is there a company out there that sells FO that gives off this bad odor? If so, I certainly don't want to buy from that company.

Blessings,

Shirlee in KY

I am thinking(oh no!!) that is your melter & not the melts. Do you have another melter you can try them on?

CathyinME ... I use the same melter with all the tarts I have & all of them have smelled absolutely heavenly (or, as has been the case with some that I've made, have had no smell at all) with the exception of these 2 I mentioned above with the horrible petroleum smell. I have no idea what could be causing such a bad odor with these 2 totally different tarts (one commercially made & one made by an individual & purchased at a craft shop) but I'll chalk it up to 2 bad batches. Vicky mentioned perhaps the wax got too hot. I don't know if she meant the wax got too hot when they were making the tarts or if it got too hot in my burner. However, they started having this horrible smell within 20 minutes or so after I started melting them so it's not like they sat in my burner for a couple of hours before giving off these fumes. Needless to say I won't be buying these two particular brands anymore : )

Blessings,

Shirlee