Partner or solo

katshe

ok I've been making and selling soap and candles and a few other items for a few years...i feel like I need a partner to help get things moving...it would be nice if my husband was willing... but so far he is not and he is too snotty with me for me to work effectively with anyway. I could use a man though for some of the sawing ...making certain art projects and such.

So I am not sure how to even go about finding a partner. how do I pay them? Family members wont get involved cause they don't want any bad blood between us...cause that could happen I suppose.

Or do i just keep it Solo? Solo is not keeping me motivated.

I had my daughter in law help for one particular sale and she was somewhat of a help but mostly it kept me motivated to get products made etc.

Any advise would be super

thanks

Solo - with a helper. I've seen too many partners get on each other's nerves or battle for control.

If you just need wood items cut you could pay per piece. If you just need help (or someone to keep you company) then get a friend to come over. You can give them product instead of cash!

No I need help with other things as well like labeling some computer stuff little things and possibly help with home parties and sawing sanding etc.

My friends are busy with their own lives and or working too...no one available ...the only people i know that are home are inlaws and not sure they will do as i ask cause they are opinionated and never let ya get a word in so dont think they fit the part.

I put an email out there to all I thought would be an asset and no one is willing or able to work for just free stuff.

Hmmm - have you thought about going younger? Teenage girls can usually set aside a block of hours for babysitting - and the boys make time to cut grass or shovel snow to make a little cash. Maybe one would prefer helping you out. They already have the computer skills. Of course it would need to be after school hours or weekends. But they do work cheap!

I agree with Judy - especially if it's an existing biz. Having a biz partner that does not have as much invested as they were not there at biz creation is crazy hard to manage. I started with a partner and we "parted" ways really quick - It benefited us both in the beginning doing all the research - but then we went our seperate ways.

Motivation I am afraid is not something you can usually hire - you need a biz coach, someone you can report to and/or a mentor that can help guide and give you inspiration. If you just need a worker bee I am with Judy, find a local teenager in need of some spending cash or check with your area's vocational tech schools, they usually have a "part time job board" for kids after school and weekends. Sometimes kids can get credit for working?

Funny you say a teenager...i have one living with me now...my daughter but she wont lift a finger to help me with any of it :)

I guess I feel less motivated since i moved my workspace downstairs. basement is just not the same as being able to see outside maybe...i don;t know but everything I need is down in one place which makes finding what I need soo much easier..but it is better to not have the mess up in my main kitchen.

Ok I think im rambling now.

I did have my son come over and do some work on his off days but he is back to work now so he's out and such a good worker too...dang. :)

I get the partner thing ...i feel like I have put years of work into what I have created and I really cant trust that someone else could appreciate that or do thing the way I do.

On the other hand It would be nice to share some of the work to take a bit of pressure off.

thank for all the suggestions... :)

I think my daughter in law would be a great business coach...on occasion she has talked to me and I have used her suggestions...she has some good ideas as far as marketing.

She gets products at cost for now just for helping me set up or label like once a year but now she works nights and sleeps during the day ...hmmm

Funny you say a teenager...i have one living with me now...my daughter but she wont lift a finger to help me with any of it :)

I think my daughter in law would be a great business coach...on occasion she has talked to me and I have used her suggestions...she has some good ideas as far as marketing.

She gets products at cost for now just for helping me set up or label like once a year but now she works nights and sleeps during the day ...hmmm

My son only helps when he absolutely has too and/or needs body wash or car fresheners and he bitches the whole time so I feel your pain.

If your DIL works well with you maybe talked to her about helping with labeling and any other things she might be able to do from home this might be another option. During silly season I have a friend that takes my car fresheners home and strings, bags & tags them for me then brings them back to help keep me sane. I either pay her or give her free product (aka Christmas & teacher's gifts!!) depending on what she needs most at the time. It has worked out well for both of us. I am actually thinking about hiring 1-2 of the neighborhood teenage girls to help with that kind of stuff this year if it gets really busy this year. I can hire them on a day to day basis when I really need help. They love it because it gives them a little extra pocket $ or $ for Christmas shopping, plus I usually send them home with some lip balm, soap &/or lotion too.