useless at pillars?

i seem to be!! sorry everyone but im looking for yet more advice! im using paraffin wax that comes in beads if that helps anyone. im pouring (uncoloured unscented wax) at 85oC although I have pured before at 82. im using a plastic opaque circular mould and i have tried poking relief holes. the only thing is as the wax cools theres a huge pit left in the mould by the wax so i have to do about 2-3 repors. if i did this in a notrmal pillar and was using different colours for different layers surely it would be noticable that i'd had to do a few repors? is there any way of cutting down the size of the big pit in the wax so i dont have to do so many repours? im wondering if im missing something obvious but im getting so frustrated with myself that i still cant make a decent pillar! is it the mould im using maybe? who knows??? all ideas/help/info would be greatly appreciated just now :drool:(sorry just like the face!!)

You might try pouring a bit cooler. The hotter the wax, the more it'll shrink when it cools usually. Also, amke sure it's completely cool before doing the repour. It shouldn't take that many repours. The relief holes is to encourage the pit. Without it, the air pockets will be trapped underneath and never filled in. Finally, If you make sure NOT to go over the origional pour line, the repours wont show, it's the bottom of the candle.

thanks for the answers, the reason i tried pouring a little hotter was i was getting air bubbles before so i was advised by someone on here to try pouring a little hotter so see if that would get rid of them. the pit im getting on the bottom of my candle is pretty big just now but thanks for the advice and ill try making sure its cool enough before making the relief holes. the only thing is im worried that if i cant get the put smaller, itll make the candle itself a lot smaller.....i guess its all trial and error and im still learning!! thanks for all the help :highfive:

In my experience you really have to let the wax cool in the mold so your repours won't take alot more wax. When I repour and the mold is still warm there have been times when I had to repour 2 or 3 times. Try letting the mold get almost cool to the touch. I have gotton busy sometimes and forgotton to repour til it's almost cool and when I do repour...it comes out perfectly...no leveling at all needed.

Give it a try.

J.

thanks ill try that! when should i poke the relief holes? when the mould is cool to the touch as well yeah? sorry i seem to be asking the same or very similar questions over and over, just want to be clear in my head what i need to do before i try and make another candle!! :yay: