Business Name/Startup Questions

SprinklesWife

I'm new to making candles and I'm wondering how you all got started with your business name. I have a cute little name to call my candle making business, but it's really just to sell to friends and family and maybe at a craft show here and there. But I didn't know if you actually have to register the name with the state or get incorporated just to sell at craft shows and such. Or do you just say this is what my candles are called?

Thanks for you help!

Depends on the laws of your state. Here you can't do like more than 3 shows a year or if you do, you gotta be registered. So look into your state laws.

I just threw together words and had people vote on what they liked and that's what the business became. It wasn't something I ended up liking at first, but it's grown on me. Now the others jumped all over it. :rolleyes2

Depends on what you mean by "use" it. And as scented said, it depends on the laws of your state. Here you have to register and get multiple licenses. One for making, one for selling at home, one for selling at shows, one for sales taxes. You need to find out what your local laws are before you sell to anyone.