Size of container

I have a container that is 4" wide on the bottom and 3-1/4" on the top. Someone suggested that I use 2 wicks for it? Is that correct. I use 6006 and CD-8 coreless tabbed wicks.

When I read post they usually say 3-1/2 and under use one wick.

Confused. Thanks

I have enjoyed wide mouth containers that are over 3 inches (but have not tried 4 inch yet). Also, I am experimenting with some containers that have different diameters to them.

Here is what I think so far....

A container that widens towards the bottom probably is OK with a wick designed for the top diameter. That is because there is some heat buildup in the glass container when the wax burns down and the pool tends to get larger. So on those, I'm wicking based on the diameter at the top.

I have a container that is oval top to bottom meaning that the bottom is as narrow as the top with a wide middle. Those I am wicking for a diameter slightly smaller than the max width, but larger than the top. I'm finding that the middle tends to leave wax on the sides but once it burns down, the wax on the sides starts to melt and join the pool at the bottom.

I have also found that these oval containers tend to throw better. Not sure why, maybe because the pool is warmer and there is a "draft" as air flows across the top and through the cavity in the container.

The only problem with the containers that have the oval shape (vertically) is that the base is sometimes not as large as on a straight vertical container. I sort of wonder if they might be knocked over more easily. I know enough about law that I am not concerned about the legal aspects of this, but I would feel bad if any harm came so I'm trying to find a container that has an oval internal shape with a wide base.

Um, more directly...

... For a wide mouth container that is right at 3 inches or maybe 3 1/8, I'm using a CD 14 flat wick off a spool and using only the candle wax to saturate the wick.

The flame is about an inch tall and it tends to leave about 1/16 inch of wax on the container wall until it burns down a long ways. By the time it burns out, all the wax is consumed except for a bit on the bottom due to the safety tab.

I've lit off 6 ounce sizes and let them burn to extinction (two days) and I've burned for a few hours and extinguished and re-lit. Pretty much the same results.

Personal blend of mostly paraffin, some soy, a bit of palm and a touch of beeswax with vibar 260.

I would like a taller flame so I am going to experiment with some square wicks. I have some LX wicks but for some reason I'm really drawn to the CD's.

I also have a ton of round cotton core wicks, 44-24-18 through 62-52-18 and I don't like any of them. Too small of a flame and pool and too much mushroom if I use a large size.

Edited by EricofAZ
edited vibar number

The dimensions of your container sound like it may be an Apothecary type jar. They also have a 4" diameter in the body and the top rolls inward to form a slighty narrower neck and top opening that is 3"+ size.

You don't have to use 2 wicks for that size jar. Many including myself have successfully single wicked these jars and got a great burn.

What you should be testing for is the total burn of the candle. So when you test a wick you want to burn your test candle all the way to the bottom. The candle will not burn the same at the top as it will on the bottom. Its okay to have some wax buildup on the sides as long as it 'catches' up and burns down as it reaches the bottom.

When I was making candles in Apothecary jars I used a parrafin wax and singlewicked with a 61Z. I liked the steady burn and great throw I got from zincs. However, zincs are prone to mushroom so they need to be periodically trimmed. If you don't want to do this look for another wick like a self trimming wick.

I suggest you go to visit Wicks Unlimited at www.wicksunlimited.com and read up on wicks. They have excellent info on different series of wicks, how they perform, and in what wax application.

Edited by Candybee