Using FO for the first time.... help!

Reg

I finally ordered this FO

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?CatalogID=4&GroupID=3&CategoryID=2039&ProductID=1850&ProductName=Crafters+Choice%e2%84%a2+Pumpkin+Pie+Type+Fragrance+Oil+408

And I am not sure how to use the information they provide:

IFRA Maximum Use Level:

Bar Soap: 4.10%

Does that mean anything over 4.1% might be irritating to the skin, or it will be too stinky over that level?

I am planning to make HP soap in a crockpot (since I don't wan to wait too long to use it). And I am making a small batch - 20 oz of oils and 7.4 oz water. Any suggestions on how much FO I should add?

I was also thinking to sprinkle in some sinnamon, ginger and cloves (dry powdered spices) mostly for visuall interest, is that going to be an overkill?

I have never used FO in soap before, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

one ounce PP of oils is the general rule of thumb, but you should always check the manufacturers levels.. so its good you know 4.1 is their max, because thats pretty much half of the amount I would use with some FO's.

So.. based on that, just times 20 (ounces of oils) x.04 (4%) and you will get your amount. .8oz.

you can do that with any formula... candles, soap, lotions...

one ounce PP of oils is the general rule of thumb, but you should always check the manufacturers levels.. so its good you know 4.1 is their max, because thats pretty much half of the amount I would use with some FO's.

So.. based on that, just times 20 (ounces of oils) x.04 (4%) and you will get your amount. .8oz.

you can do that with any formula... candles, soap, lotions...

Thanks!

Oh, and... not sure why this particular FO says dont use more than 4.1, it totally depends on the FO. Some are stronger, some contain things that may irritate skin (like mints or cinnamon).. no real way to tell you because to be honest I cant really tell you what all is in most fragrance oils.

So maybe I shouldn't add powdered cinnamon to this mix, since it might have cinnamon in it already (being it's a pumpkin pie, it might already have cinnamon)?

Thanks!

So maybe I shouldn't add powdered cinnamon to this mix, since it might have cinnamon in it already (being it's a pumpkin pie, it might already have cinnamon)?

yeah I've tested this scent before and it has quite a bit of cinnamon already. Maybe some nutmeg instead? that will give it that speckled look without adding too much more cinnamon!

yeah I've tested this scent before and it has quite a bit of cinnamon already. Maybe some nutmeg instead? that will give it that speckled look without adding too much more cinnamon!

Thank you so much for your help! I am hoping to try this out tonight maybe (depends what time I get kids to bed :))

Woo-hoo, I made a batch! I used only .6 oz of FO because I remember reading somewhere that you don't have to use as much FO if you are doing HP soap. I figured I'd rather have an undercented soap then overpowering one. I hope I did the right thing. Right now it smells really strong, but I assume it will fade out somewhat over the next couple of weeks. And I did sprinkle in some nutmeg.

Can't wait to cut it!

Here's my cut soap:

I am thinking that maybe I did not put enough nutmeg (no idea how much I put in, I just sprinkled it out of the shaker), I would like more speckles.

The smell has alreday subsided, it's not as pungent as it was when I just poured it in. Now I am starting to worry that maybe I didn't put enough FO. We'll see in a few months.

post-12252-139458472347_thumb.jpg

Here's my cut soap:

I am thinking that maybe I did not put enough nutmeg (no idea how much I put in, I just sprinkled it out of the shaker), I would like more speckles.

The smell has alreday subsided, it's not as pungent as it was when I just poured it in. Now I am starting to worry that maybe I didn't put enough FO. We'll see in a few months.

I think it looks great and i can a l m o s t smell it! some fragrances don't fade much, so you may end up very happy with it. it sounds yummy!

your addiction just got bumped up a BIG level , because you now run the risk of becoming a FOHO as well, with hundreds of little sample sizes of fragrance all over the place! :laugh2:

ei

Edited by dogmom1
add a thought

I think it looks great and i can a l m o s t smell it! some fragrances don't fade much, so you may end up very happy with it. it sounds yummy!

your addiction just got bumped up a BIG level , because you now run the risk of becoming a FOHO as well, with hundreds of little sample sizes of fragrance all over the place! :laugh2:

ei

Oh yea, I am planning to order some sample sizes after the craft show (no money right now).