purse question

Lightning Bug

Hi. After last years scrubbies and towels, I've decided to try making purses for Christmas presents. I took several books out of the library on making them and the nicest one said to iron heavy interfacing on the inside of the material used. Is this necessary? And if so, do I use really rigid stuff or regular like used in making clothes? TIA. Beth

Well, I haven't decided upon the exact type of fabric yet, but would think a heavier might be better than say broadcloth. When you iron on the pellon interfacing, do you do both the lining and the outside or just the outside? I was leaning toward just adding the interfacing to the outside and then just a lighter weight single fabric for the lining. We have a Joanns and a Hancock about 95 miles away. I can order online, but really want to see the material for myself. One more question, do you put purse feet on you bags? They seem kind of expensive and I'm not sure they are needed though the library book mentioned using them. I'm planning on fairly easy projects for this first try. I have to say, TexasBrat, your purses were the inspiration to try this. They are so great. Beth

Well, I haven't decided upon the exact type of fabric yet, but would think a heavier might be better than say broadcloth. When you iron on the pellon interfacing, do you do both the lining and the outside or just the outside? I was leaning toward just adding the interfacing to the outside and then just a lighter weight single fabric for the lining. We have a Joanns and a Hancock about 95 miles away. I can order online, but really want to see the material for myself. One more question, do you put purse feet on you bags? They seem kind of expensive and I'm not sure they are needed though the library book mentioned using them. I'm planning on fairly easy projects for this first try. I have to say, TexasBrat, your purses were the inspiration to try this. They are so great. Beth

I have put purse feet on my bags but not always, it's not to hard but really gives a nice finish to the look overall. I recommend putting interfacing on the lining fabric as it will just be floppy on the inside. You can use a lighter weight interfacing but it is best I think to have it on all the fabric, even the straps. For the bottom inside I use plastic canvas and place it between the lining and outside fabric to give the bottom shape. I used to place a covered piece of it at the bottom from the inside but it was more work to make a cover etc so I started adding it to the inside part of the bottom and it makes the whole purse washable as it's only pc. Some people use cardboard covered with fabric but I don't care for that look, the pc works just fine. I can't wait to see what you make.