Pouring in cardboard

I don't think we could do it at high temps. If we can pour in milk cartons, it has to be because the edges are sealed.

Hmmm, but maybe if the whole box isn't submerged in wet sand...it would leak out the edges? I think its a must try for me! Off to go buy the right box.

What I found in my library -- open-ended cardboard or plastic tubes can be used by placing the tube on a small piece of cardboard and sealing it around the base with mold sealer. Pierce a hole in the base and thread primed wick through. Cast the candle as usual, using wax heated to 180 degrees. When the wax is cool, slice the tube open to release the candle.

More rigid molds can be made using stiff or corrugated cardbord. Bend it into shape or design your own shape. Seal the joins with packing tape and wrap the entire mold with packing tape for added protection against leaks. Pierce a hole into the base and thread with primed wick, cast the candle as usual, using wax heated to 180 degrees, allow to cool, cut open to release the candle.

Another method was to insert a mold like this into a regular mold, seal the seam with tape etc. and pour.

Everything I have indicates to pour the wax the same as any other candle. Don't know if that helps.

I have a book with the corrugated technique you see in that gallery candle. For that they suggest preparing the cardboard with spray varnish as a sealer plus using silicone mold release. In their method the cardboard is used to line a metal mold and produce a surface texture on the candle.

So maybe you could similarly prepare the inside of the box with sealer - and maybe the outside so it doesn't get soggy?. Putting it in wet sand sounds like a great idea. I can't see why that wouldn't work if you can bury it to the pour line.