stearic in gel wax

cactusladycandles

I have never added stearic to gel candles, so I do not know how well that would work. Gel is definitely too soft to not be in some sort of container. If you want to use it as an accent (like strawberry sauce) maybe try pouring it at a cooler temperature when it is a little thicker so it won't run as fast.

I hope I understood your question you were asking...

Jackie

I have never added stearic to gel. There are actually different densities of gel. Maybe use a higher density?? I actually have seen gel floating candles which are not in containers--and they held their form, at least on the shelves to be sold. Never tried to make the floaters myself.

Any gel application that you want "body or substance" to requires a higher density gel. Using stearic will cloud the gel. If you don't mind that, such as for whipped cream or a rustic look, then you're okay, but not for "clear" applications like jam or syrup. Regardless of the density gel used, it should always be poured cool(very cool for light density) if you don't want it running all over the place. And with the right mold, gel density, and several other factors that took alot of testing to master, it is possible to make freestanding candles/floaters in gel. One of my tests for a design is to pitch it as hard as I can into a tile wall and let it bounce around. If the design is good, it will remain intact - no pieces breaking off and no mis shapen design.:tiptoe:

Forgot to mention that even though stearic is okay for a "white" application and low density gel, if you let the final product sit for several weeks, the gel will lose it's shape and not look that good anymore - not good if you're selling. This will happen even without excessive heat.:tiptoe:

One of my tests for a design is to pitch it as hard as I can into a tile wall and let it bounce around. If the design is good, it will remain intact - no pieces breaking off and no mis shapen design.:tiptoe:

LOL...Love the testing method!! :D

• 1 month later...
Can you put stearic in gel wax to make it harder. I made a strawberry shortcake and the gel ran down the side of the cake. I'm not using a plate, just the cake.

Not sure if it will make it hard enough to accomplish your goal, but I have used stearic acid in gel for a different reason. As someone else mentioned, it will give a "white" appearance to the gel. I don't remember how much stearic acid nor much much gel I used; I think I just started with a little, like 1/2 tsp and worked up from there. Anyway, once I got a light but definitely white appearance, I poured the gel into an ice cube tray. After the gel completely set I still had to pop it in the freezer to get the "gel cubes" out. Mold release also really helped. I used the white gel cubes in making "Cola" or "margarita" gel candles, because clear gel cubes got lost in the darker colors whereas the white ones looked just right.

Hope someone finds this bit of info helpful. :cheesy2: