Question about HP

lsbennis

I want to add some titanium dioxide to my HP soap to lighten it up but I'm not sure if I should add it before or after I cook it. Is it just like any other color which you can add after? If you add it after do you mix it with an oil or just put it directly into the soap?

I buy the oil soluable titanimun dioxide. I mix it with my melted oils. I forgot to add it to a batch after the cook & it did not dissolve. If you have the water soluable kind mix it with your lye/water after the lye is dissolved.

ok thanks, I got it from Brambleberry and this is what it said..............

Titanium Dioxide: "Angel White" natural pigment that is both oil and water soluble. When used in Cold Process add to your base oils and mix well prior to adding the lye water solution

.........it didnt say anything about HP but I will assume it is ok!

Sometimes I add it after the cook but I mix it in a little water (oil) in a dixie cup to make sure it is dissolved first. I get specks if I try to add it by itself.

I mix my TD with my water first and make sure it is dissolved, and then add my lye. I've only used from one place though so others may be able to do it differently.

Edited by Billie
ETA something

• 2 weeks later...

With HP I get the best result dissolving it in my lye water (long as it's water soluble TD). When I add to my oils sometimes it doesn't incorporate fully and after the cook forget it unless you dissolve it in some water first and then still you'll be trying to mix it in forever. Don't ask me how I know.

Just an FYI - If you want to do a colored swirl in your HP and your working with a powdered colorant, clay or ground herb mix it with a little superfatting oil, water or veg glycerin. It's hard to incorporate a dry powder into fully cooked soap but using this method none of your colors will morph on you.