Votive Question

Why is this happening??

First of all this is what i'm using

Pre-blended votive wax

1 dye chip

1 oz. fragrance oil

Initial pour at 170 degress (yes i keep back some original wax)

Second pour at 175-180 degrees

After I take out of molds, two things are happening.....the top is a different colour (usually a little lighter) and it looks like the top will 'pop' off. WHY WHY WHY??

Connie:mad:

I am not sure why the second pour is lighter colored than the first... unless the dye chip is not mixed completely and it just happened to occur that way.. but the top looking like it will pop off is because either the second pour was not hot enough.. (needs to be 10 degrees hotter than the first with no dipping) ... or possibly the first pour was too cool when you made your second pour. needs to be cool completely to touch but not cold. HTH.

DaisyFairy

Initial pour at 170 degress (yes i keep back some original wax) Second pour at 175-180 degrees

After I take out of molds, two things are happening.....the top is a different colour (usually a little lighter) and it looks like the top will 'pop' off. WHY WHY WHY??

I don't see anything wrong with your procedure. The color difference isn't unusual because the dye fades from being exposed to more heat. You can try to be careful with the heat and maybe add a touch more dye if it bothers you. But what exactly do you mean when you say the top looks like it will pop off? If you pour it at 175-180 it shouldn't be going anywhere. Are you referring to the shape?

By the way, what pre-blend are you using? I'm wondering if it's regular votive wax or one of those high melt point things.

Sounds like adhesion problems. I've had tops that looked like they were snapped into place...as if they weren't even part of the rest of the candle.

I let my first pour sit for 60 minutes (or until I start seeing the first sign of mottling) and then do the second pour. I tend to do both pours at the same temperature (200 for my wax).

For me, the problems arise when the first pour has cooled too much.

I use a votive preblend (igi4794) and have to make sure to wait long enough for my repour. If I pour the second pour too soon I get mega sink holes near the wick.

I understand the reason you want to pour your second pour sooner, but Im not sure that is the correct answer. Try it and see if it works. If not, try waiting until your votive molds are room temp to the touch and do your repour 10 degrees hotter than the first.

hth

Pam

What i mean is the colour is a couple shades lighter. Also it looks as though it isnt attached totally to the candle, like you could take your nail and flick the top off. I havent actually had one pop off, but it looks that way.

:mad: Connie

What i mean is the colour is a couple shades lighter. Also it looks as though it isnt attached totally to the candle, like you could take your nail and flick the top off. I havent actually had one pop off, but it looks that way.

:mad: Connie

The procedure you've been using is perfect for 4794. I don't think you want to do the second pour sooner. The wax should be cool before you pour the tops.

The change in color could just be from reheating the wax. It does lighten. I don't really understand if you are having an adhesion problem or just a subjective impression of some kind. At your pouring temperatures it will adhere just fine. Make sure to pour up to the rim on the first pour. It's fine if it bulges up a bit.

If necessary, check your thermometer with boiling water and make sure it reads correctly.

I'm wondering if that could be the problem....I dont pour to the top of the votive mold because the majority of my votive HOLDERS are smaller in size so I've been trying to make smaller votives. i've been pouring about 3/4 of the votive mold on the first pour and when I top off, I just pour enough to cover the hardened top....does that make sense? Perhaps i shouldnt be doing that at all???

Connie:rolleyes2

I think that would explain your problem. A thin layer of wax on the second pour would congeal very quickly on the sides of the mold and probably look pretty bad.

I think you're better off using the molds as intended and making some nice looking normal votives with them. If you want to use the odd sized cups, the best thing to do with those is perhaps to make filled votives - pour the wax directly into the cup.