What did I do wrong???

Guest PassionSunKiss

Guest PassionSunKiss

Ok so I found an easy body butter recipe which has everything in tablespoons and teaspoons. I converted everything to ounces, then to grams. I followed the directions and it came out with the consistency of bottled lotion and it was very thin when I rubbed a little onto my hand. What should I do differently? I thought about adding less rose water, but then what do I add more of to make up the difference?? I'm trying to make an 6 ounce jar of this stuff.

Here's the recipe:

6.83 g of cocoa butter

19.65 g of olive oil

21.65 g of coconut oil

10.68 g of cetearyl alcohol

3.54 g of stearic acid

106.8 g of rose water

2.6 g of optiphen

0.85 g of FO

0.85 g of FO

I combined the butter, oils, cetearyl alcohol, and stearic acid and melted them down in a double boiler pot, then mixed that combo up with a hand mixer until it got thicker. Then slowly added the rose water, optiphen and FOs as I was mixing for about 10-15 mins. Tried sticking it in the freezer for 10 mins to get it to thicken up, then mixed it again for another 10 mins...no signs of change what so ever and my hand feels like its going to fall off from holding the mixer for so long. Any suggestions??

TIA!!!!!!!

Edited by PassionSunKiss
forgot to add a letter

Guest PassionSunKiss

Weird, because it's supposedly a body butter recipe, they could be advertising it incorrectly...here are the percentages if that helps anyone...

cocoa butter 3.94%

olive oil 11.35%

coconut oil 12.33%

cetearyl alcohol 6.17%

stearic acid 2.04%

rose water 61.68% which seems way too high imo

optiphen 1.50%

FO #1 0.85%

FO #2 0.85%

TIA guys it means a lot to me...think I should switch the amounts for the cocoa butter and rose water?? That was my guess.

Edited by PassionSunKiss

There are emusified body butters but the formula I have uses around 45% water. I have seen formulas higher.

Cetearyl alcohol is (I thought) a co-emulsifier. I always use Polawax as an emulsifier in an emulsified body butter.

Stearic is a thickener but some people don't like it. I personally DO like it and use it in my lotions and body butters.

Emulsifiers at at least 5% is a good place to start in my opinion.

I also do mine the opposite way that you did. I add the oils, butters and emulsifiers to the liquid. I do not use a mixer (do you mean stick blender). I just use a whisk to blend it all together but you could use a stick blender. Then as it cools, I stir every once in awhile until it gets cool enough for my preservative (I use a preservative that needs to be added after the mixture is below 120 degrees). Then I add the fragrance.