Smelly Lard

lsbennis

I decided to try some lard in my soap today but jeez, is it suppose to smell nasty?:tongue2:

I hope this smell goes away because its really disgusting! I got the Armour Lard from Walmart, I'm assuming its ok and will dissapate once cook otherwise its going in the trash! lol

Are you sure it's still good and not rancid? I've used that brand before in the past, with no problems. I heart lard. :)

Some people have a more sensitive nose than others, and can smell lard, even in the finished product. Maybe you have a sensitive nose?

ETA: Overheating lard makes it smelly to me!

Edited by CBE

Thanks everyone, sounds like I may have overheated it. Smelled fine until I put it in the microwave. Put it on 30 second blast until it was melted and thats when I noticed the smell. I'll try another batch without melting it in the microwave and see how that does.:rolleyes2

Thanks everyone, sounds like I may have overheated it. Smelled fine until I put it in the microwave. Put it on 30 second blast until it was melted and thats when I noticed the smell. I'll try another batch without melting it in the microwave and see how that does.:rolleyes2

That's how I melt mine, and it's fine. Perhaps the lard is a bit too old.

Overheated lard will stink, but mine gets melted in the wave too and at bursts of 3 to 4 minutes depending on batch size. I seldom get a whiff of stink from the stuff, but if my nose is close to unscented oils, different story. I have overheated lard before and the stink has cured out, just like the stench of hot pink mica has done.

Edited by Scented

I did another batch this morning and I melted it in the crock pot and didn't notice the smell as bad, still noticed a little bit of smell but not as nasty as yesterday...lol

I just got it yesterday at Walmart, the date says to use before 1/14/2012 so I think it is fine, must just be me, never experienced lard before..lol :cheesy2:

I must say the soap cooks totally different in the crock with the lard, much lighter and more fluffy, as opposed to when I just use olive oil based recipes. I'm going to try using Crisco next in place of Lard!

I used the same brand and melted it the exact same way in my first CP batch a couple of months ago. I noticed the same smell and also asked on the board if this was normal. I think I probably overheated it, too. I can still smell a faint hint of lard now, but I didn't scent the batch. The good news is the smell has faded a lot in the 2+ months since I made it. I think if I had used some FO, I wouldn't be able to smell it at all. Lard makes a nice bar of soap, though!!