How many holiday scents?

okieScents

This will be my first year having a retail shop, and I am already thinking about christmas. How many holiday/christmas scents would be good to carry? I don't want to have a lot left over at the end of the season but enough of a variety to carry me over. If that makes sense. I have already tried several christmas fragrances from NG, but need to start trying others. Sooo suggestions please.

Apple Jack Peel and Christmas Cabin from ng are easy to sell. Last year I sold a lot of Pom and always a lot of creme brulee. I generally offer about 20 fragrances for holidays and stick with the fos that most people want for that time of the year. HTH

Steve

I do 8 or 9 holiday scents. Over the years I have found that some scents just sell like crazy. I do not want to bother with experimentation during the holidays, so I only make proven sellers. Some best sellers for me include Pumpkin Pie, Orange Spice, and Frankincense & Myrrh.

It's hard for me to have less than 15 scents; I keep trying to narrow my scents down to 12 for the holidays. However, it would seem to me, if you have a retail store, you might want more scents than less, since you have a store to fill up. Some unique scents and best sellers are ...

Winter Blast

Fireside Inn

Spiced Cranberry

50/50 Red Hot Cinnamon & Warm Vanilla Sugar (I got this idea from BCN)

All from www.wildfire-creations.com.

I am not doing more than 5... I know alot of you will balk at that but lemme explain...

At my shows this summer I've been having some of my best, most reliable customers fill out little forms. Over and over and over they all selected only five of my "holiday scents" and over and over and over they selected the same ones.

So...

• Fudge
  • Candy Cane (peppermint)
  • Pomegranate (testing versions right now, I have some coming from NG that I hope will be the winner)
  • Christmas Tree/Holiday Tree
  • Apple Jack Peel

and, I consider Pumpkin pie kinda a crossover from thanksgiving that I continue to sell, so truly I will do 6.

Its a gamble but my candle sales are down 30%... I cant afford to have 300 candles sitting around after Christmas.

Noodle, I recently tried Frankincense & Myrrh and I use 4794 for my votives & melts. You can barely smell it! I use 1.5 oz per pound. And pour at 170 degrees. Should I add more fo? Thanks for your help!! I love this scent!

I know I am not Noodle, but I use that wax for my votives. I usually never put that much FO in my votives. With my tarts, I will, but it is because I use a parasoy wax. Where is the FO from? What temp are you adding it into the wax? I always add my FO at 180 or a little higher and stir for 2 full minutes. Then I pour at the same temp.

Since last year I have been limiting myself to 12 basic tried & true scents that cover the fall & holiday season from Sept thru December. I add maybe 3-5 more for Christmas but thats it. I try not to go over 15 so any extra are just made in very small batches only to try out something new to see if I have a new best seller.

I always carry scents in pumpkin, cranberry, cinnamon apple, harvest, bayberry, cinnamon, gingerbread, christmas tree, then add my secondary sellers like hansel & gretel, lavender, honeysuckle, maple sugar, pecan pie, etc. Then add a few extra Christmas scents for the holidays like Christmas Splendor, Mistletoe, etc until I have my 12-15 scents.

Thanks nmhoneybear, I did not mean to limit the questions to noodle, because ALL of you guys are so knowledgeble and helpful to us newcomers! I'm so thankful for your help, I have not seen that much about this scent so was very excited when it came up! I love this fo and I do hardly make votives with it I mostly make tarts and melts like you. The fo is from a supplier only 10 miles from my home so I get everything there. It's the Melting Pot in Vidor, Tx and she sells all over the world. I add my fo at 160-170 degrees and like you I stir at least 2 min. I pour at the same temp. Could it be I should go up to 180? Maybe that's what I did wrong. Thanks again!!

Thanks nmhoneybear, I did not mean to limit the questions to noodle, because ALL of you guys are so knowledgeble and helpful to us newcomers! I'm so thankful for your help, I have not seen that much about this scent so was very excited when it came up! I love this fo and I do hardly make votives with it I mostly make tarts and melts like you. The fo is from a supplier only 10 miles from my home so I get everything there. It's the Melting Pot in Vidor, Tx and she sells all over the world. I add my fo at 160-170 degrees and like you I stir at least 2 min. I pour at the same temp. Could it be I should go up to 180? Maybe that's what I did wrong. Thanks again!!

I am mostly a votive maker, so I am pretty experienced with this wax. I have been using it for nearly 4 years. Everything that I have read on it says that the temp of the wax must be 180 in order for the FO to incorporate properly. Give it a try. Also, with that wax and stronger FOs, I use zinc wicks...44-24-18. I would consider Frankincense & Myrrh to be a stronger FO, but I have not used it, so I am not sure. Seems like it would be similar to Sandalwood and Patchouli, and I always wick up on those. Another thing I do is let my votives cure for a while. I know lots of people don't let paraffin cure, but I do. Usually I wait at least a week before I burn them.

I should have clarified that I do not make candles. Sorry, I have no idea how Frankincense & Myrrh performs in wax. I make soap and body products, and Frankincesne & Myrrh is a phenomenal seller to both genders.

May I ask where you get your frank & myrrh? I got a bottle from C&S and although I liked it I couldn't give it away. Also, others have posted that the one from CS is not a true f&m.

I am mostly a votive maker, so I am pretty experienced with this wax. I have been using it for nearly 4 years. Everything that I have read on it says that the temp of the wax must be 180 in order for the FO to incorporate properly. Give it a try. Also, with that wax and stronger FOs, I use zinc wicks...44-24-18. I would consider Frankincense & Myrrh to be a stronger FO, but I have not used it, so I am not sure. Seems like it would be similar to Sandalwood and Patchouli, and I always wick up on those. Another thing I do is let my votives cure for a while. I know lots of people don't let paraffin cure, but I do. Usually I wait at least a week before I burn them.

Thanks a lot! I"ll up it to 180 and try that. I LOVE the scent and it's popular down here in Texas along the coast. Have a great day!!