Sunscreen Lip Balm

mychellec

Hey crafters! I just posted this in the B & B section, and thought it might be appreciated here. Here is a simple sunscreen lip balm recipe (I think I modified it from the one on www.pvsoap.com). I did this a few years back, so I don't remember all of my percentages, but here is what I have written down:

2 tsp. beeswax

1 1/2 tsp. cocoa butter

2 tsp. shea butter (or other)

1/2 tbs. sesame oil

1/4 tsp. vitamin E oil

1/4 - 1/2 tsp. titanium dioxide

Tint and Flavor as desired

I think the 1/4 tsp yields an spf 10-15. Sesame oil has some sunscreen abilities as well (or substitute avocado oil, which also has mild sunscreen ability). The TD will settle, so stir a lot and work quickly. I hope you like it!

It's not for sale, just for fun! I wouldn't sell anything claiming spf without getting a proper spf rating - actually I've been doing this for thirteen years and don't sell anything at all. I make all my own products, and supply my family and friends. I craft because I enjoy it, and that's good enough for me! 10% TD will yield an spf rating of about 20, though you would have to go through FDA regulations to claim this in anything you are selling. But for a California July it's nice to add a little sunscreen to your personal balm and protect your lips! You could add TD to any balm for a little extra protection - regardless of what you want to call it.

It's not for sale, just for fun! I wouldn't sell anything claiming spf without getting a proper spf rating - actually I've been doing this for thirteen years and don't sell anything at all. I make all my own products, and supply my family and friends. I craft because I enjoy it, and that's good enough for me! 10% TD will yield an spf rating of about 20, though you would have to go through FDA regulations to claim this in anything you are selling. But for a California July it's nice to add a little sunscreen to your personal balm and protect your lips! You could add TD to any balm for a little extra protection - regardless of what you want to call it.

Thanks! I will do that. Can't hurt to add it.