Consignment

SaraScribbles

Hey All,

So we had a HORRIBLE craft fair this past weekend, (two day show, was told that it would be a big one and that there would be "20 new vendors"...what a load of ****; there were 18 vendors total and none of us made much at all:mad:).

Although, I did have someone come up and ask if I would be interested in putting my candles and bath & body in her new shop. UHH, duh, yes!:yay:

So I stopped to talk to her after the fair and she told me that she would take 30% of the sale price. Her husband was working on a new shelving unit for my stuff and I'm supposed to drop it off with her tomorrow.

So my question for you consignment geniuses is...is 30% normal and is there anything else I need to watch out for?

TIA,

Sara

As Georgia said...absolutely, without a doubt, get everything in writing...

There's a sample consignment form here:

http://www.candlebusinesscorner.com/forms/consignagree.htm

You can use that as a guideline for your own, but make sure that percentage is clear, that the store is responsible for the sales tax (if applicable), who's responsible for damaged goods (ie: a customer breaks your candle, etc), who's responsible for ordering (whether they call when they need more items or if you will be checking on stock and refilling, etc), your turn-around time for product replacement, etc, etc, etc.

Good luck!!

I only do one consignment (I much prefer wholesale) but it is 30% as well. That seems to be the general ballpark, although there's some that want more or less.

I've managed to get my costs pretty low, so I get 3 (sometimes 4) x's my cost for wholesale. I figure consignment should give me a bit more since it's more of a hassle.....as long as the 30% fits in that category it's OK by me.

Ditto on the contract thing. Make sure it covers pricing (if you have a min/max sugg. retail), payment schedules, your %, tax issues, etc. In VT, make sure you have them fill out an S3 form for your records, they will collect and report the sales tax. HTH.

Hey there,

Thanks for the advice. She's drawing up a contract tonight and I'll check it out tomorrow when I go. The rest of it I think I have answers to, but will get it all in writing tomorrow.

Beth ~ thanks for the heads up on the S3 form. I had never heard of it, and this is my first consignment thing. (I prefer wholesale too; don't have my candles anywhere, but someone has my candy and fudge in her shop--it's much easier!).

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom!

Sara