molds

I've been searching, but have not found exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to be placing an order for some molds to make my forever pillars. At the same time, I was going to buy some votive molds to start testing when I make my tarts (pour a votive to test just before pouring all the tarts needed).

So I have a couple of questions.

1. the molds for the pillars all look like they have a hole for the wick. Do they sell a plate to cover that hole since I'm making a forever pillar, or will my tealight cup be tight enough to the bottom to prevent it from leaking. (From my research it sounds like you all put the cup on the bottom of the mold before pouring.)

2. For votives, I really like the streight sided ones that candle science has. (not a huge fan of the tapered sides or a pointed top ones). Has anybody tried the streight sided ones and does a standard wick pin fit in those?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by rebeccajo99
used wrong company name for votive mold

Hi Depending on which kind of forever candle I am making( plain or chunks) all I use is a piece of scotch tape across the bottom of mold over the hole. Just be sure to place tape directly over the hole & to bring tape part way up the side of the mold> Does that make sense??? Also I use play dough to fill the tlight cups on the bottom of the mold so when you pour the wax in, it doesnt flip over & float around. HTH

When you order your molds order some mold sealer. You use it to seal the bottom of the pillar molds. Its kind of a rubbery substance that you roll in the palm of your hand to heat it and make it plyable. Then you press it against the bottom outside of the mold to seal it up the hole.

I use mold sealer on all my molds. Then I also put electric tape over the sealer to be sure it doesn't leak. Never had a leak yet.

Also, when pouring my wax into my molds I first put the molds in a baking pan like a cake pan. Then if the mold does leak the wax will collect in the pan and not drip all over my counter and floor.

I can't give advice as to forever pillars as i've never used them, but I use Duct seal from Home Depot to seal my aluminum molds. It's amazingly cheap to begin with, heat resistant, and I can reuse it over and over.

As far as votives, I'm actually using plastic ones which are a hair bigger than the standard 17 hour ones. The plastic gives an amazingly smooth finish which is what it seems like you are looking for. I got 100 of them on eBay for like 15 dollars.

For wicking them, I bought a box of 1500 low tack glu dots for under $20 at www.buygluedots.com (not the normal high tack ones for containers) and I just stick the wicks in before I pour. To remove, I have predrilled a very small hole in the bottom of each in the center (gluedot covers it) and press them out with a wick pin (they seem to come out better for me than actually wick pinning this way.)

The metal disk on the bottom of the wick prevents me from punching into the candle, and they release very easy.

Chris