Why is my homemade candle frosting?

OK. I new to candle making and I'm attempting to make a couple container candles for my sister. I'm using quality paraffin wax. After it melted over a double boiler, I added a little stearic acid and colour. I had a tip that crayons were a cheaper and effective way to colour the candle, so I used a half crayon per candle (about 10-12 oz of wax). Also, I added a scent that is made for candles. After the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, I pour the candle at about 180 degrees Fahrenheit. After the candle's cool for about an hour, they start getting this frosting look to them. Can anybody tell me what is happening? Since they are a gift and in a glass container I'd really like them not to have this "frosting". Please help!!! Thank you!

I don't know where to start. What kind of wax, a picture, how much is a little, no to using crayons, what kind of container? Buy a candle kit or a votive kit and follow the directions. You should get a reasonably nice looking gift for your sister. Otherwise, you could be giving her a fire bomb. Crayons are just going to clog up your wick and its a whole lot easier to buy a kit with the color, wax, wick and your choice of fragrances. HTH.

Steve

I don't know where to start. What kind of wax, a picture, how much is a little, no to using crayons, what kind of container? Buy a candle kit or a votive kit and follow the directions. You should get a reasonably nice looking gift for your sister. Otherwise, you could be giving her a fire bomb. Crayons are just going to clog up your wick and its a whole lot easier to buy a kit with the color, wax, wick and your choice of fragrances. HTH.

Steve

If you read my original question carefully, I explain that I'm using paraffin wax in a clear container that can hold about 10oz of wax. Also, I added about a teaspoon of stearic acid for the candle. If heard that adding too much acid is nearly impossible and probably isn't the cause of the frosting. Is this true? By the way, I've already made a few small candles for myself and they burned very well using the crayons, did not frost, and were not "firebombs".

Chels, candle making is a very technical process. When you said that you are using a paraffin wax, that doesn't tell us much because there are many different types of paraffins and they all perform differently. So Chuck was correct to ask you what type of wax you were using. If you have any more information about the wax, please post it here. If it was a basic slab of wax from Michael's or Hobby Lobby and it didn't have any descriptive info, then please tell us that too.

As for firebombs, many of the seasoned candle makers here have had their share of mistakes that could have burned their houses down. And that is after YEARS of experience. It can happen to the best of us, and it especially happens to people just starting in the candle-making hobby.

Crayons are a way to color a candle... true, but they tend to clog up your wick and your candle may not last as long as you'd like. The materials and pigments used in the crayons vary from one to the next. Therefore if you depend on crayons for coloring you cannot expect the same performance from candle to candle.

The type of container you are using also makes a difference in the way the candle cools after pouring. What is it's diameter? Does it neck down like an apothacary jar, or does it have straight sides like a metro jar?

And lots of other factors... wax temperature when poured, how was it cooled, etc.

I'm not an expert on paraffin so I doubt I can answer your questions. But I did start my candle hobby here with this message board and these people can be very very helpful and patient if you open yourself up to them.

Good luck to you.

I've been working with paraffin for over a decade and have never had to add stearic to the wax I use. I know that on some of the hobby sites they say you can melt crayons to color the wax but the best colorant to use is one specifically designed for chandling. I've never experienced paraffin frosting.

We did read your original question carefully but, like Steve and Jonsie have said, we need to have more information. My questions are: What temp did you pour at? Are you sure you are seeing frosting or are they jump lines from pouring into cold glass?

If you really want to get into this (even as a hobby) the best way is to follow Steve's suggestion and invest in a kit to learn the basic steps and get the proper additives and equipment. Here's a link to a basic technique:

http://www.candletech.com/candle-making-basics/how-to-make-container-candles/

Thanks for all your input! :smiley2:

No, I'm aware you are here to help. I didn't even know that I had to be more specific... there are more specific types of paraffin? Sorry Steve, just seemed a little rude from my point of view. That's all! I didn't even realize how specific I need to be. Now I know! I think I will get a kit, but for now...

If anyone sitll wants to help here are ALL of the details I can give. If not, Thanks anyway:

- The paraffin is a brand called Paro Wax and it states on the box that is a high quality paraffin and can be used for candle making. That's it.

- The jar is about 3 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep. It is a very plain tumbler clear glass cup.

- The wick is medium, bleached cotton and I have dipped it in wax and used a proper clip at the bottom.

- I did preheat the glass cup in my oven for 10min on the lowest setting.

- I used about a teaspoon of wax per candle.

- I poured the wax at 180 Fahrenheit into the preheated glass.

- I slowed the cooling process by placing the jars closer together and placing a towel around them.

- The scent I used seems to be oil based but IS made for candle making.

- I am very very sure the problem is frosting. The entire candle is covered.

A BIG thank you to anyone who can help!

Thanks Jody, I will try it without the stearic and see if that helps.

Edited by chels24

Steve wasn't rude from what I read, just giving you good advice and pertinent questions to try and help. The 'tip' you received about using crayons as a candle dye is one no reputable chandler would give anyone, as they definately can and will clog your wicks.

As to the frosting, it's probably caused by the combination of your ingredients. But, I've never heard of that wax, don't know who's fragrance you used and 'medium cotton wick' doesn't tell me exactly what size wicking or actual name (i.e. LX, HTP, CD, etc.).

Reading and searching your problems may help, you can only try. Investing in a kit from a reputable supplier will give you a better understanding to candle making.

Good luck! :cool2:

Welcome to the forum! People here are intense about their passions and very knowledgeable on their topics. I came here when I wanted to learn about soy candles and was able to benefit from their experiences in order to make a nice product.

Your frosting sounds like some of our Cub Scout troop's early experiments for a craft badge. The boys wanted to make candles for Mother's Day, so we got some basic instructions from a craft book. We used Gulf Wax, which was household paraffin readily available at the grocery store in the canning section. Your ParoWax (http://www.amazon.com/Parowax-Household-Wax-Sold-packs-24/dp/B000LL7NCQ) is VERY similar to what we used. Neither are really quality waxes, but are good for basic projects or "survival candles," which was another project we did.

I think the frosting you had (as we did) was a combination of the wax (which is adequate to make a candle, but NOT really a quality paraffin wax for candles suited as gifts or for sale) and the use of the crayon for color. Crayons also include a bit of clay in production to help them hold shape, and muddies up the wax in your candle. Liquid coloring agents, color chips, or wax blocks specifically designed for use with candles are your best bet.

Lastly, some fragrance oils will make your candle frost like crazy. Soy is especially prone to this, so it's been a trial/error process to determine which ones look like they have snow/frost on the tops...and then decide if the appearance is acceptable to me.

Honestly, for a gift, it boils down to: safety (is the container a suitable thickness to sustain heat for a period of time, fragrance (does it smell good?), and burn ability (does the wick stay lit and eventually create a melted wax pool across the entire surface of the candle---this is actually where the "smell" will come from when you burn). If it's only the frosted appearance that concerns you, it will be covered once a full melt pool is achieved, and is only a temporary state until the first or second burn anyway.

If this has interested as you as a hobby or potential business (which will take time to learn to develop a quality product, and you will need business licenses, insurance, etc to sell legally), I would highly suggest (as others have) to go to one of the online suppliers and purchased a kit. The kit will provide quality "ingredients" and instructions.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by scifichik

Scifichik - You rock! I learned a few things from your post that would never have crossed my mind - especially about the clay content of the crayons.

Biggest thing I learned is they still make Paro wax. That's the same stuff I used to make a candle for a 4H project in 1960! :shocked2:

I tried crayons to color a candle when I first started. I found soy crayons and with my soy way the blue was so pretty. Was pretty when the flame was just a blue glow drowning it out. I was so pissed I just knew everyone was wrong about candles and crayons. But :lipsrseal

I really have never seen paraffin frost. I thought soy was the only source for frosting.

Also if you do decide to order from a candle supplier, get one that tells you what your wax is and they right name for the wicks. CandleWic is a good one.