Wanting to make a Citronella candle with GW 464...

has anyone else tried Citronella with soy waxes? If so, what percentage do I use the Citronella FO (from CS)? Or should I stick with something like IGI 6006? And again, what percentage will work the best? :confused:

And this may be a more appropriate question for the FO discussion, but if I want to blend another scent in to cover the bleh! Citronella fragrance, how much of that would be needed? Thanks all in advance!

I've heard of vanilla and citrus being used to cover the citronella.

I used 1oz PP of CS's and that was more than enough for a great throw.. however I didnt make a regular candle, I actually twisted three of the largest wicks I have (c-85) together, could have even used four and been fine I think.. and poured into these buckets.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90167340

I havent tested it in any other way because I wanted them to have #1, a smoking wick, and #2, tons of throw.

so far so good... They do stink though. They work, but they stink.. couldnt stand that smell in my house. Its OK outside, but not anywhere near a living area, lol

Edited by LuminousBoutique

I tried twisting wicks but they came apart while burning. Also tried the wood wick but it was too small although it did smoke. I just bought a roll of citronella wicking that is working. I just soaked it in the wax I was using, palm-soy, didn't have to even us a wick tab. But I haven't burned it all the way yet.

http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/product/WICKMC1/Small-Outdoor-Citronella-MC1-Wicking-50-foot-spool.html

I've heard of vanilla and citrus being used to cover the citronella.

I used 1oz PP of CS's and that was more than enough for a great throw.. however I didnt make a regular candle, I actually twisted three of the largest wicks I have (c-85) together, could have even used four and been fine I think.. and poured into these buckets.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90167340

I havent tested it in any other way because I wanted them to have #1, a smoking wick, and #2, tons of throw.

so far so good... They do stink though. They work, but they stink.. couldnt stand that smell in my house. Its OK outside, but not anywhere near a living area, lol

OMG! Those buckets are adorable!! No IKEA in Denver yet though & it sez you can't buy them online. :( Has the paint peeled at all Luminous?

I had read about using Lemongrass w/Citronella, thought it was just for the citrusy scent but more research revealed that it's a bug deterrent also. I do have CS's Citronella but I should maybe email them about the amount, I found one "How to Make a Citronella Candle" (on eHow I think) that said you should use 2-3 oz pp. So I'm really confused. :confused:

I tried twisting wicks but they came apart while burning. Also tried the wood wick but it was too small although it did smoke. I just bought a roll of citronella wicking that is working. I just soaked it in the wax I was using, palm-soy, didn't have to even us a wick tab. But I haven't burned it all the way yet.

http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/product/WICKMC1/Small-Outdoor-Citronella-MC1-Wicking-50-foot-spool.html

Awesome, thanks for the link! 50 feet though, that's probably more than I'd use in the rest of my life! :laugh2:Seems like I read somewhere here about someone using a Citronella torch wick, I may investigate that avenue. Thanks again!

OMG! Those buckets are adorable!! No IKEA in Denver yet though & it sez you can't buy them online. :( Has the paint peeled at all Luminous?

I had read about using Lemongrass w/Citronella, thought it was just for the citrusy scent but more research revealed that it's a bug deterrent also. I do have CS's Citronella but I should maybe email them about the amount, I found one "How to Make a Citronella Candle" (on eHow I think) that said you should use 2-3 oz pp. So I'm really confused. :confused:

I think citronella EO might need more versus the FO from CS, im not sure though. It has kept bugs at bay so far though! Its been a wet year, so its been a bit of a problem. I've read that about Lemongrass too, the 1oz PP has been VERY strong so far, but I dont think more would hurt- it especially since we're using them outside :)

I actually got the plain stainless steel version of these buckets, and ran a thin strip of tape up the inside to be sure it didnt leak at all where the seam meets... but the ones that are painted are powder coated so its really strong high quality paint. We have an IKEA here in Salt Lake so thats where I go to get them. We have IKEA but you have peaks!! lol. I just paid $50 in shipping from them. sigh.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

• 1 month later...
has anyone else tried Citronella with soy waxes? If so, what percentage do I use the Citronella FO (from CS)? Or should I stick with something like IGI 6006? And again, what percentage will work the best? :confused:

And this may be a more appropriate question for the FO discussion, but if I want to blend another scent in to cover the bleh! Citronella fragrance, how much of that would be needed? Thanks all in advance!

I tried making citronella 3" tins with 6006 used about 8% fo and a eco 12 wick. Well my son took one camping and the whole container of wax caught on fire!!yikes... think the wick was way to big ....