Shaving Soap Help

candlemama

I've been trying to come up with a shaving soap recipe that produces super creamy, dense lather. I keep coming back to a really high cocoa butter percentage with some Castor and Walmart GV shortening (which is mostly beef and pig tallow). I checked out the single oil soap characteristics of cocoa butter, and it seems it makes a good bar:

http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

But because it's so expensive, I don't want to leave too much to chance and thought I would run my tentative recipe by all the experts here. This would just be for personal use and for gifts so I don't mind using a higher cost recipe as long as it works.

Castor Oil 12%

Cocoa Butter 40%

Walmart GV Shortening 48%

Bentonite Clay (not sure on amt -- 1 TBS ppo?)

SoapCalc Results:

Hardness 50

Cleansing 2

Conditioning 48

Bubbly 13

Creamy 59

Iodine 49

INS 147

Lauric 0

Myristic 2

Palmitic 28

Stearic 20

Ricinoleic 11

Oleic 32

Linoleic 5

Linolenic 0

TIA.

Edited by candlemama

Candle Mama that is going to be one expensive bar of soap with 40% Cocoa butter. I have never tried that much in soaps.

Are you going to make a shaving soap? I prefer high Palm for a shaving soap because it gives big bubbles and creamy lather.

Here is one I just made

42% palm

20% CO

12% Castor

8% Canola

5% Cocoa Butter

13% Olive Oil

Hardness 43

Cleansing 14

Conditioning 54

Bubbly 25

Creamy 40

Iodine 56

Palmitic 24

Ricinoleic 11

Oleic 34

1 Tablespoon Bentonite Clay per pound of oils I use Distilled Water or Aloe Vera Juice and hold out 2 ounces of Heavy Whipping Cream to add at Trace.

Barbara AL

Edited by Barbara AL

Thanks, Barbara. I think I'll keep playing with my recipe and try to come up with a cheaper alternative to a high CB percentage. Do you find with your recipe that the lather is creamy and stable and thick? Thanks for sharing it with me, BTW!

Let's see, currently in my soaping closet, I have lots of coconut oil, palm kernel flakes, castor oil, olive oil, and palm oil. I also have between 5-12 oz each of sweet almond, apricot kernel and rice bran oils. About 3-4 oz of shea butter left, about 8 oz of cocoa butter and 12 oz of mango butter. I live near a B&B supplier and can pick up more butters and some other oils, like avocado, if needed.

Thanks so much for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one I just made

42% palm

20% CO

12% Castor

8% Canola

5% Cocoa Butter

13% Olive Oil

Hardness 43

Cleansing 14

Conditioning 54

Bubbly 25

Creamy 40

Iodine 56

Palmitic 24

Ricinoleic 11

Oleic 34

1 Tablespoon Bentonite Clay per pound of oils I use Distilled Water or Aloe Vera Juice and hold out 2 ounces of Heavy Whipping Cream to add at Trace.

Barbara AL

Barbara AL, What % superfat did you use?

I tried my first shave soap about a year ago, and was soooo disappointed at the results I haven't made another since. I should have tried someone elses recipe first instead of making one up!