How do you make Soap Playdoh??

candles4ever

I really, really wanted to play around with soap playdoh for my young daughter, so I followed the discussion on this other thread (and I linked it to the page I found most helpful): http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19344&page=4

I agree with what's stated in the other thread that you need more cornstarch to firm it up. And alternatively, add glycerin to soften it if too much cornstarch is used.

If you don't want to follow the link, this is the recipe I used:

4 oz MP soap

2 oz glycerin

1 cup corn starch

color and fragrance optional

Melt MP as directed. Add glycerin and mix. Add color and fragrance and mix. Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup cornstarch and mix. It should become a sticky ball. Continue to add remaining cornstarch as needing, using your hands to knead it into the mass until you reach the desired consistency. This kneading is almost too much work for me to make this a marketable product.

It will get harder if you air dry it but typically you can pick it up and knead it back to pliability. Good news though is that generally these components will not dry out like regular Play-Doh. However, you may feel the tackiness of the glycerin and MP on your hands.

In the bathtub, a chunk of this will not hold up like a regular bar of soap because the corn starch dissolves easily in the water. So don't expect it to last for 20 baths, but of course that depends on how it's used :)

I have been impressed with this recipe because it doesn't dry out like the regular Play-Doh. And you can scent and color it however you want! My neighbors think I am a genius because their kids love to play with it and would like more.

Good luck and hth :)

Edited by jonsie

Thank you, I knew it was missing something. After I made a batch it was really hard and thick. I've only been playing around with M&P off and on for a couple of years and haven't really got into it till now.

Thank you for posting your recipe I have glycerine so I'll try it.. My kids really didn't like the first batch, lol.. Although it bubbled like crazy..