How much do i start with, Additives ?

Thanks to a nice lady ( ashlie) i have me some vybar & stearic. but i don't know how much to add to a pound of wax. and i know you going ask the name of this wax LOL! but i don't know . the man that gave it to me just said for container candles it needed additives. he gets it real cheap some where but its good wax, just have to be filter out. to make tarts i don't have to have the additives but i don't like it for tarts, they have no shine , plus have a sink place, needs repoured. so i'll stick to my parsoy for those. any suggestion at how much to start with ?0

Can't really answer without knowing what the wax is. Is it hard? Does not sound like container wax. Vybar at 1/2 to 1 tsp per lb. can increase scent throw by help to "bind" the FO and the wax. However, too much will have the opposite effect, decreased scent throw. Most pre-blends have vybar in them already. I've never heard of stearic for containers.

e

The wax is real hard, its not soft like the preblend parsoy wax i use. i think i just need the vybar to make it blend with the fo, but i always heard to add stearic also. maybe the stearic makes it stick to the container. this wax will pop right out of a tart mold or like the other night i put some in glass measureing cup, when got cool i just turned cup over and it poppped out.

That doesn't sound like container wax at all to me. It sounds like it's paraffin to me and not for containers because it's a hard slab. Container waxes are usually soft. Since you can't tell by looking at it whether it's a preblend or straight, I wouldn't add any vybar to it because it could already have it in there and bind up your scent, however; adding stearic to it would not do any harm. You can add 1-3 tablespoons per lb of wax. Question for you: When you made your tarts, were they transparent when they set up? If so, then it's probably straight paraffin. If not, and they were white, then it's more than likely a preblend.

Fern , the wax is in round pieces, like it had been in a long tube about 1' 1/2 round. then sliced. he gets this stuff by the truck load for about 5 cents a lb because it has a little lint in it, how it got there or why i don't know, but the wax isn't snow white like the wax i buy is before or after melt. i'm going have to set this aside right now and fool with it only when i have time which isn't much right now:rolleyes2 thanks for your help , i'm going look up about stearic & vybar to see what they are suppose to do.

what that sounds like to me is a pillar paraffin. He probably gets it from a wax manufacturer or a large candle company. It is probably the wax that is left in the very bottle of the melting tanks. The company just gets rid of it (more cost effective that way) There is really no way of telling what it is or what is in it.

If you wnat it to be softer some people add crisco. I have never tried it so I am not sure what your results would be.