Hot Process Tips

Loulougirl

Thanks Luminous! :) I'm bad and sometimes... I don't wear gloves when I do my CP.. I'll be sure to do so when I try HP this weekend!

lol me too thats why I mention it... I always tell people "do as I say, not as I do!!" because I'm SO bad about wearing gloves... I think we all get jaded! But with HP its not the lye.. its the heat! whew. lol

I'm new to the soap world with only a few batches of OHP and a couple CP under my belt, but here's what I've learned so far: add one TBLS of sugar PPO to your water and dissolve before adding lye. It does seem to keep your soap a little more fluid and not quite as gloppy when it comes time to put in the mold. Not a huge difference but enough to make the effort worth it IMO. I've read that sodium lactate works, too, but haven't tried it.

Also, if you want smooth tops, more like CP, overfill your mold and then slice off the top with a knife while it's still in the mold after cooling for 2-3 hours. Oh, and when you first glop your soap goo into the mold, bang the heck out of it to release air bubbles.

So far, I think I really prefer HP. My HP bars and CP bars look the same (so either my HP bars are smooth or my CP bars are rough -- not sure, LOL). Clean up is easier, and I don't have to worry about raw soap. And I get to try out my new soap sooner, even though I know it still needs a cure.

I'm new to the soap world with only a few batches of OHP and a couple CP under my belt, but here's what I've learned so far: add one TBLS of sugar PPO to your water and dissolve before adding lye. It does seem to keep your soap a little more fluid and not quite as gloppy when it comes time to put in the mold. Not a huge difference but enough to make the effort worth it IMO. I've read that sodium lactate works, too, but haven't tried it.

Also, if you want smooth tops, more like CP, overfill your mold and then slice off the top with a knife while it's still in the mold after cooling for 2-3 hours. Oh, and when you first glop your soap goo into the mold, bang the heck out of it to release air bubbles.

So far, I think I really prefer HP. My HP bars and CP bars look the same (so either my HP bars are smooth or my CP bars are rough -- not sure, LOL). Clean up is easier, and I don't have to worry about raw soap. And I get to try out my new soap sooner, even though I know it still needs a cure.

Good tips

Yep I've been considering doing more HP for the holiday season because I can use those fast tracing FO's without worry and it only needs 2-4 weeks before I can shrink wrap versus 6... thats a huge diff during the holiday rush!! I love my CP swirls but... HP has alot to be said for it.

Good tips

Yep I've been considering doing more HP for the holiday season because I can use those fast tracing FO's without worry and it only needs 2-4 weeks before I can shrink wrap versus 6... thats a huge diff during the holiday rush!! I love my CP swirls but... HP has alot to be said for it.

Maybe if I could figure out how to swirl CP, I'd like it better, too!! But my one attempt so far just looks like my HP marble... Pretty pathetic swirl. Maybe I'll post a pic in the gallery so everyone can get a good laugh :P

I forgot to mention I found this site that has some tutorials for making prettier, smoother looking HP bars (it's where I got the tip for overfilling the mold). I can't remember if I found this site on the forums here or somewhere else -- WAY too much time online lately!

http://www.lovenaonline.com/soapmaking/OHPswirl1.html

I was just getting things ready to try it tonight, when I thought of something. I normally discount my water when doing CP. Should I use full water to HP? I read on a few sites that it's better to use the full water amt.

What do you ladies think?

Good tip Barbra, thanks! :)

Well, I tried it last night ... I think perhaps I cooked it, left it in the crockpot, a tad too long. It was rather lumpy and thick when I gloped it into the mold. Course.. this is my first time, maybe that's just the way it is! lol

I tried a tiny piece that crumbled off when I cut it this morning.. so nice!

I really liked how this worked, so I think this will be go to option for fo's that overheat or trace fast! :)