What tart wax do you use?

flowerbaby

O.k. everybody, chime in. What wax makes the best clamshell tarts? I want it to have a creamy appearance, if possible, great scent throw and easy release. I don't want much. hee hee. I really appreciate any help. I am not convinced the one I am using is great. And please, include where I can purchase whatever wax you like. I am in Texas so any supplier near me would be awesome to cut down on freight. Thank you in advance for your help. Sincerely, Elizabeth

Hello, Elizabeth!

I make tarts, tarts, and more tarts. I've tried just about every wax and combination of waxes. I live in NE Texas, so the closest suppliers are JBN, LS, Wixnwax and a few others.

I have 2 waxes I count on for my tarts; unfortunately I can't get them from the above suppliers. One comes from Candlewic and the other is from The Candlesource. These are the waxes that give me the best throw. Shipping is a killer though!:shocked2:

However, I often substitute the IGI 4786 for the one I get at Candlewick (CBL129) as they seem very similar in their performance. Of course I do some tweaking, hehe, adding a bit of this and a bit of that, but I'm quite happy with my tarts, and so far everyone has given them A+.

Another wax that throws well is Joywax, but it's way too soft, so I used to add to it to make it harder. Now I'm using it to experiment with container candles - which I'm pitiful at! :laugh2:

You'll probably hear that a lot of people like the parasoy from KY. I've tried it but it left me totally unimpressed; don't know, maybe it's just me...

Good luck and keep us posted!

I am using the Ky Parasoy and my complaint about it is that it has an odor that interferes with some of my scents. Most especially my Mexican Vanilla and my Sugar Cookie.

What wax do you use from Candle Source?

The one you use from CandleWic is the CBL129?

And when you tweek them, what does that mean?

I am new at this, and want them to be great before I get too crazy promoting them with my customers. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Also, how much scent per pound of wax do you use for your tarts?

Thank you so much for replying. Elizabeth

No problem with either 4786 releasing or with the CBL 129. Occasionally I may have to put them in the freezer for just a few minutes and they release beautifully. The Candlesource wax is a cinch and just perfect for tarts. It is listed as a wax that you can use for both containers and tarts. HTH

No problem with either 4786 releasing or with the CBL 129. Occasionally I may have to put them in the freezer for just a few minutes and they release beautifully. The Candlesource wax is a cinch and just perfect for tarts. It is listed as a wax that you can use for both containers and tarts. HTH

What is the appearance of those two waxes? Is it creamy or are the colors bold?

The container wax from the Candlesource is my very, very, very favorite (did I say that it's my very, very favorite?) :P. So far nearly every FO throws great in that wax. According to Loren and what's on his website, this wax can be used in containers and also for making tarts.

I hardly ever color my tarts, perhaps I should to give them visual appeal, but I don't. Anyway, when I do use color, all 3 waxes give me good tones, not pastel-looking ones. The Candlesource wax is the one that looks the creamiest.

If Loren ever stops offering it, I will jump off the roof. I love it, it is my very, very favorite; incredible throw. Now, this is just my opnion, of course, but I have tested soooo many waxes and combinations, it's not funny.

So in order of preference, spot #1 goes to the Candlesource, followed by CBL129 and then IGI 4786. HTH

Thanks Ravens. That does really help!!!

I checked the Candlesource website and maybe I missed it, but how many lbs of wax is in 1 slab? Is that a 1 LB slab? Also, is it easy to break it into smaller pieces? I only do this as a hobby (although the amount of money I have put into it already, some would think otherwise) so I have only used 100 soy, and the KY blend, which are both scoopable and very easy to use so I wasnt sure how much of a pain it would be to use the big slabs.

Thanks again!!!

A full case has 6 slabs and weighs 62 lbs. One slab is roughly 10 lbs.

I'm sure one thing you will notice right away is the texture; hard to explain really, but you'll see when/if you order it. It's also very white, way more than all the other paraffins I've tried. You will need to use a knife to cut it as it's fairly hard; not as hard as the 4786 and certainly a lot softer than the CBL129 (need a hammer for the 129!)

If you decide to try it, I hope you will post your review. :smiley2:

The container wax from the Candlesource is my very, very, very favorite (did I say that it's my very, very favorite?) :P. So far nearly every FO throws great in that wax. According to Loren and what's on his website, this wax can be used in containers and also for making tarts.

I hardly ever color my tarts, perhaps I should to give them visual appeal, but I don't. Anyway, when I do use color, all 3 waxes give me good tones, not pastel-looking ones. The Candlesource wax is the one that looks the creamiest.

If Loren ever stops offering it, I will jump off the roof. I love it, it is my very, very favorite; incredible throw. Now, this is just my opnion, of course, but I have tested soooo many waxes and combinations, it's not funny.

So in order of preference, spot #1 goes to the Candlesource, followed by CBL129 and then IGI 4786. HTH

So the wax from Candlesource that you like the best is just called Container wax? Does it have a number or anything?

I just got my wax from Candlesource....!! I will let you know how it goes for me...I was looking for a better scent throw....I will also be using some color chips. Oh, and I am making tarts.

Thanks for the input on my thread Ravens...

Edited by Ann_in_ID

Ann, Megan, Flowebaby

The Candlesource container wax does not have a number. Just follow the directions posted on Loren's website and you should have no problem whatsoever with the throw.

I've yet to find a wax that throws better for me. Had great hopes for the KY parasoy for tarts, but frankly it was a disappointment; same for the Ecosoya PB; same for all the dozen of combinations I tried :sad2:

I hope you'll all have the same great results, and the best thank you is, IMO, to pay it forward; share your experiences, what worked for you, what didn't. No matter at what stage you are, you can always contribute to the forum.

Will wait to read your reviews.

Well I received the container wax from candlesource today. That was so fast. I ordered it Thursday night so kudos to them!

So, now this question is more about logistics. For those of you that use slabs of wax, how do you store it and how do you typically divide it into 1 lb increments? I am not sure if it would be best to pre-measure it out (kind of like breaking down the hamburger meat before freezing it ha ha) into 1 lb sections, or if I should just break it into chunks for easy storage and then weight it out as needed.

Thanks everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

I broke mine down into 1 lb. pieces, but I only ordered a 10 lb. slab.

So, the throw is definitely better than I was getting with the other wax, but eh...I'm still not 100% happy.

I did find a gem, though!

Blueberry Muffin from Peaks!

I am not a huge blueberry fan but my husband thought it sounded nice.

It really, really smells like someone is baking blueberry muffins (my daugher said pancakes) and it is really, really nice.

That is the strongest throw I have gotten so far.

I have poured Vanilla Amber, Blueberry Muffin, Frankincense and Myhrr, Ocean, Baby Powder, Hot Cocoa and my own blend, Orange Chocolate Truffle. They all smell really nice, but the scent doesn't seem to last very long, at least not as long as the ones I used to get from my friend.

How is it going for you?

I really do like the candlesource wax, in fact I ordered another 10lb slab a little while ago. I have been trying different waxes but so far that is my fave. I ordered the crafters choice SP from WSP about a week ago but so far I am not impressed. Wish I had read all the reviews here first instead of only the WSP website reviews. But, to be fair I have only made 3 batches with the WSP wax and I need to give them time to cure.

But I can definitely say that I have had really good results with the candlesource wax. I broke mine into chunks and some small little pieces so now I can not wait until it gets here so I can make more tarts. I just received 14 new scents from candlescience (and ordered more from candlesource today) so I am chomping at the bit to put those in wax and see how they do. I just dont want to use them on the WSP wax until I can do a side by side comparison between the two waxes to see which is better.

Whew, that was long winded... :grin2:

Have you tried any other company's FO's in the Candlesource wax?

Another crafter here suggested using the same company for wax and FO's.

I have been using Peak's FO's in the Candlesource wax.

I am now wondering if I should try Candlesource scents in the Candlesource Wax.

I have tried several of the FO's from candlesource and so far they have all been great in the Candlesource wax. I have also used FO's from candlescience, Aroma Haven, Berts Heaven Scents and I am sure a few more and so far they have been really good.