Hurricane candle

I've made quite a lot of photo hurricanes and am quite good at them, but i've had an idea on a variation of it and just wanted to see if anyone knew if it would work.

My friends moving in to a new home, she's just been decorating and has done one wall with a lovely feature wallpaper. Theres loads of cut offs to i had the idea of embedding the wallpaper, like how it is done with the photo. But only put it on every side of the square hurricane candle as opposed to just the one side like you'd do in a photo hurricane.

Do you think this is possible? will there be enough time to get four sides in the wax before it starts to set?

Hopefully it'll work, my friend doesn't know i've got the cutoffs(she was throwing them out) so it'll be a nice surprise for her.

Wallpaper is thick so do you think the light/flame will show through? How about photo copying the wallpaper, just so it will be as thin as a photo. Since I have never done the embeding this is just a thought. How about making each side in a silicone pan a little bigger than the photo yet on the thin side.. Remove and place the four sides in the mold one at a time till stuck. Then fill with wax. Crazy huh? I have a square mold with 5 parts. You make each side in the mold using a photo, flowers or shells any thing really cause it can stick out. then you stick the bottom and sides together. I have never used it and have no idea how to stick all together without it looking like crap. Instruction were not clear, oh well, good luck with your ideal.

Edited by Sharon in KY

Thanks for the advice. Good idea about photo copying, it'd probs be easier to handle just on paper, but the paper is a dark brown with a flower through it and so i'd imagine it'd take up load of ink of my printer/copier.

I think i'll just try it with wall paper, even if as you say the wallpapers too thick for the light to shine through, the canes can still be used for decoration.

I'll post a pic when i'm done if there half decent.

I love hurricanes but have only attempted one with not so good results so far. I've actually thought about doing a print somehow, like a damask pattern, on all four sides and think it would be a great decor accent.

If the wallpaper isn't too detailed, you can probably scan it and reprint it on thinner paper with good results, especially if you have access to Illustrator or Photoshop. Or what about cutting out the pattern, again if it's not too detailed, so that you don't have a lot of excess paper blocking the light?

However you do it, please post a pic. I'd love to see it. Good luck!

I like photo hurricanes but I think you would have to photocopy if you want the light to shine through. Also I don't know if you'll have a problem if it's prepasted paper. I have done a square on with something on each side so that shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I don't like about square hurricanes is the tendency of the sides to bow in as it's setting up. I use 5055 wax.