Question about how to test scent in tarts

megandgarr

Hi there,

I have what is probably a silly question for all the experts but I couldnt seem to find the answer (and I have spent countless days on this board) All of the info that you all post is so very helpful by the way. I am making tarts only as a hobby, for personal use and to give as gifts.

So on to my question(s)...I have seen posts about the q-tip test, by dipping a q-tip into a scent and throwing it in a baggie to see how the scent smells (especially when combining scents), but I have read that a scent doesnt always smell the same in the bottle (or on a q-tip) as it does in wax. Is that true with your experience? Is there a way to test a scent in wax without using the whole lb of wax and 1 oz of scent? Can you test in wax with a small sample of wax/scent, to make just a couple of tarts and then melt those to see how it smells before you make a whole batch of a scent that you really dont like?

All opinions & methods would be appreciated. Thanks much!

You sure can make a smaller batch hun... We do this all the time.. (never once did the q-tip test tho) but if we are trying a new scent out, we will make say 1/2 a lb of wax to .50 ounces of scent, well we do soy so its 1/2 wax to .75 ounces of scent. You could even go as far as 1/4 lb of wax to 1/4 ounce of scent.

Hope this helps you hun :)

Thanks for the info Ecco! I will make some smaller batches so as not to waste so much wax.

May I ask another silly question? When I attempt to pour FO from say a 4 oz bottle into a smaller bottle to weigh out 1 oz (or even less), it makes a huge mess and dribbles all over the side. What method do you (or any others that would like to add input) use to weigh smaller increments of FO? Do you pour a portion of FO into an empty FO bottle to measure the amount needed using a small funnel (to avoid the dribbles), or do you weigh smaller portions in a small glass bowl? I would love to hear tips from anyone that has a process that works great. Thanks!

Thanks for the input. I guess I was initially thinking that the paper cup would absorb some of the oil, but I guess the dixie cups have a wax lining that would prevent absorbtion. I think I will get some of those pop-up caps to use with my bottles and then dixie cups to weigh smaller portions in. Thanks again for the suggestion.

I use flip top lids on my 1 pound bottles of FO. and i tare my scale with a 2 oz medicine cup. and weigh my fo that way.. be careful using dixie cups if you have the fo sitting in it too long it will eat the cup. thats why i use medicine cups. I can get mine from the local pharmacies for like a buck a bag or something like that. they will order them for me and i get them the next day.

if you are measuring out less than 1 oz, consider getting some pipettes. no spilling, and it makes it easier to measure out smaller amounts. When I'm testing a scent I'll do 4oz batches, because that gives me enough to test several times, and it only uses 1/4 of a sample (1oz) bottle.. cant beat that.

ok, so I answered my own question about the pipette (love google)... Thanks again everyone. This gives me some ideas to think about and figure out which way I am going.

This truly is only a hobby for me but I tend to get a little OCD in whatever hobby I pick up and I think making the tarts is going to be a keeper for me. This is a lot of fun and my house smells great. For just doing this as a "hobby" which I started a couple of weeks ago, I have already managed to accumulate 20+ lbs of wax and 39 bottles of FO and a lot of yummy tarts... Eek... some hobby!!!!

This truly is only a hobby for me but I tend to get a little OCD in whatever hobby I pick up and I think making the tarts is going to be a keeper for me. This is a lot of fun and my house smells great. For just doing this as a "hobby" which I started a couple of weeks ago, I have already managed to accumulate 20+ lbs of wax and 39 bottles of FO and a lot of yummy tarts... Eek... some hobby!!!!

Good luck! It's been 3 1/2 years for me and it literally should be illegal for any one person to have as much FO, candles, tarts, and supplies as I have.

"OCD" just may be my middle name! :P

Edited by nmhoneybear

I use disposable pipettes and just elastic them to my bottles, upside down so any excess doesn't drip out and a quick whip to the outside of it. I replace them as needed but seem to get a decent amount of use out of each one. I weight it out into glass shooters from the dollar store. The oil can sit in them as long as needed and they are easy to clean up for my next run.