Lush

kyme1911

I have been watching alot of You tube lately. I love to watch all the soaper videos. I came across the ones by Lush. I was wondering, is their soap considered M&P? They have a bunch of video's, the one about Honey I washed the kids, didn't look like CP. Just wondering?

Thanks, I thought so, but what do I know. LOL I love reading all your posts, I know I won't be able to stand it, and have to try making some. Just not sure which type (M&P, CP, HP or Milled) so for now I am just watching video's and reading.

How long do their bars last? There are no stores carrying Lush products near me so I've never gotten a bar to compare.

I have been tempted to try the Lush scent versions from Day-Star due to all the raving about Lush, but haven't given in yet because I don't have any experience with the originals to know if they're really all that!

They last a long time depending how often you use them. I liked one of their scents and my sister bought me a few bars to try out. Their scents don't smell as pure as mine though so after trying it once or twice I didn't like it as much anymore. For example I liked their rock star one (think that's the name) but in the shower there is a backlash or some under lying smell I don't like. Probably all the chemicals (hahaha).

Two week-ends ago at the market I sell at a girl bought one of my Headache Relief Oils and she said she worked at Lush. I just smiled.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to wonder because their soaps also contain lye. My MP doesnt but my CP does! I would say they are not all MP. I looked at the Honey soap.

All soap contains lye. even MP. Its just that by the time you buy it, it has been processed.

Lye is mixed with fats and water just the same as HP or CP soap and in the case of melt & pour, other clarifying ingredients such as sugar, alcohol, propylene glycol and sorbitol are added. Its a bit of an industry secret how its made so that it can melt again and again, but believe me. There is lye in your soap. You just dont have to personally deal with it, because by the time you buy it it has been processed, aka gone through saponification.

All soap contains lye. even MP. Its just that by the time you buy it, it has been processed.

Lye is mixed with fats and water just the same as HP or CP soap and in the case of melt & pour, other clarifying ingredients such as sugar, alcohol, propylene glycol and sorbitol are added. Its a bit of an industry secret how its made so that it can melt again and again, but believe me. There is lye in your soap. You just dont have to personally deal with it, because by the time you buy it it has been processed, aka gone through saponification.

I've actually seen quite a few M&P bases that list sodium hydroxide in their ingredients. My base from EBC does not, but I believe the SFIC bases do. I guess it's that old debate over whether lye needs to be on the ingredient list since, theoretically (and hopefully), it is no longer present in the final product.

Ok, I just know my ingredients in my MP dont contain lye, maybe in the process it was used. My mistake. I have used their soap also and think it is way over priced and lasts no longer then mine and mine is 1/2 the cost!

Ok, I just know my ingredients in my MP dont contain lye, maybe in the process it was used. My mistake. I have used their soap also and think it is way over priced and lasts no longer then mine and mine is 1/2 the cost!

some list the ingredients as they are AFTER saponification - sodium palmate instead of lye + palm oil, for example.

this may be accurate for commercial ventures that actually buy (or make) pure fatty acids and use them in their mix. we shouldn't do that with CP because we don't do our ingredients that way, don't know exactly how much oil is left, how much glycerin is produced (tho we could figure this out, I guess), etc.