Soot with CD wicks

I know but then when I get to the 8 and 10 I get soot . Can you give me an example of a scent and amount and wick size . maybe I can try one . do you have any tulip, honeysuckle or name one. I have many I can try . I also am burning two with cd8 again to see if I get soot

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura, Do you have any CSN's GG OMG were you serious:laugh2::laugh2:actually I was reading on the CS wick selector they don't have 415 but they do have 444, 464, try 2 CSN7's just a hunch. I would say CSN5 but they are not long enough you would have to get spooled. I have been experimenting with a huge 4.5" square victorian jar and the 7's are doing it so far. (but that's with GG)

I'm not on crack either YET:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Edited by soy327

Laura, Do you have any CSN's GG OMG were you serious:laugh2::laugh2:actually I was reading on the CS wick selector they don't have 415 but they do have 444, 464, try 2 CSN7's just a hunch. I would say CSN5 but they are not long enough you would have to get spooled. I have been experimenting with a huge 4.5" square victorian jar and the 7's are doing it so far. (but that's with GG)

I'm not on crack either YET:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I don't think so about the CSN7 cause CS considers 2 CSN14 acceptable so I would think CSN7 would be too small. Also I think but could be wrong that the CSN are more for Palm wax and not the 415. I did try them in the 415 and it is no longer around and i can't remember why I abandoned that test. As far as the Glass Glo I have not read enough or know enough about it to even know where to begin but I was ordering the starburst and I thought I would order that too.

I just want to get the 415 down at this time it is really making me mad .

Though the Flower pot with the CD10 looks pretty good . There is hang up but I think it will catch up . The Mason has more hang up then I would like to see but it has a ways to go before I will be able to tell. Both those wicks are curling just right and have not needed trimming.

Its the double wicking that is difficult.

Waiting to hear from 8-Grann she uses the same jar and wax .

i guess i missed what you wanted?

sorry that will happen when someone is rambling :laugh2:

I guess if you could give me the name of a scent you work with and the amount you use I would try and see if it works for me. I was hoping you had something like I have . Are you working with any flowers FO at this time ? I have a bunch of different Fo hoping we had one in common that I could try.

You are the only one that used the same wax and jar as me that I could ask.

I might be all wet :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:(it could be worse) but I just took the last of my 415 and your jar wicked with 2 CSN7, Pink Sugar from Peak, 1 red reddi glow chip and I'm waiting for it to cool now. Just feeding my curiousity. Damn I should have something better to do tonight:laugh2::laugh2:but what's better than making candles and experimenting. I'll let you know how it comes out, might have to wipe the mud off my face but maybe not:confused:

I might be all wet :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:(it could be worse) but I just took the last of my 415 and your jar wicked with 2 CSN7, Pink Sugar from Peak, 1 red reddi glow chip and I'm waiting for it to cool now. Just feeding my curiousity. Damn I should have something better to do tonight:laugh2::laugh2:but what's better than making candles and experimenting. I'll let you know how it comes out, might have to wipe the mud off my face but maybe not:confused:

Thank you I appreciate your effort to help me out. Will you take photos too

PS I just re read your post are you using CD7 or CSN7?

Edited by lrbd

I don't think so about the CSN7 cause CS considers 2 CSN14 acceptable so I would think CSN7 would be too small.

They seem to be recommending CSN for big soy candles. Even the 2 x CSN 14 is pretty big wicking. I would guess they have manual wick trimming in mind.

I'm just thinking that to match up a good size and have it self-trim, a wick with a strong chemical treatment like CSN is gonna stand up too straight and not trim clean. I might be wrong, but in the spirit of prediction that's what I've learned to expect. Something small like CSN 7 might curl but I agree it seems too skinny for soy wax. It's way littler than anything you've used.

They seem to be recommending CSN for big soy candles. Even the 2 x CSN 14 is pretty big wicking. I would guess they have manual wick trimming in mind.

I'm just thinking that to match up a good size and have it self-trim, a wick with a strong chemical treatment like CSN is gonna stand up too straight and not trim clean. I might be wrong, but in the spirit of prediction that's what I've learned to expect. Something small like CSN 7 might curl but I agree it seems too skinny for soy wax. It's way littler than anything you've used.

The CD7 is still going but it is really getting small. I blew them out and will try again in the morning. I will take photos. The problem I am having there is the flames are not coming out true to life in the photos . I don't Have that talent i guess.

O. K. It's made. I will let it cure. Pictures will follow. I know what the wick selector says but that would be a torch. I remember someone saying whatever works in soy wick down one size.:pfor GG. So I went down one jar size instead. Anyway it's all in fun and for a good cause.

I've been burning a big apothacary that I explained earlier and it is working in GG, 2 CSN7.

Top, Made a starburst last night, Peaks ocean, light blue :yay::yay::yay: going to use a CSN14. It came out nice.

This is where I am . The CD6 way to small. Not at first but then they are. CD7 too small not at first but then they are. I still have one going. The CD8 leave a layer of soot every so many burns and then they look too small.

I am pouring 10 lbs of wax today to make 2 candles of Tulip, watermelon, honeysuckle ,heather and lilac. I used 2.3 oz of FO for each 2 pounds of wax That is I beleive a smig over 7%. I am going to let them sit for a couple of days while I and hopefully you all decide what i should try next.

I have CD, CDN CSN and some ecos ( not sure of sizes at the moment) on the way . I also have some HTP83 which I think are too small .

Thanks guys.

Edited by lrbd

Laura, should I start the test burn tonight or wait? I know the HT will be awesome. Just want to test the 2 CSN7, 415, your jar. I will post a pic of the candle before I light it and burn @ 3hr intervals.

Laura, should I start the test burn tonight or wait? I know the HT will be awesome. Just want to test the 2 CSN7, 415, your jar. I will post a pic of the candle before I light it and burn @ 3hr intervals.

At the least 4 hours .I test for 4 and 6 .

The jar is 4 inche diameter at the widest part

Thanks

crappy flame darn.

My CSN14 are getting small so I can only imagine ....

I just wicked two eco10s I have never seen them burn before so this is going to be a new one for me .