Distilling EO's?

caryfh

Is there anyone on here who has ever distilled your own EO's? I was a little curious about it since we have a nearby Lavender Farm and thought it might be interesting to have locally produced EO's. But since I've never done it, I wanted to get a feel for how difficult (costly) it is to do this from someone on here who has.

I THINK, once upon a time, that Birdie was considering doing this. And I'm wishing I could remember what book I had my nose in that mentioned making one's own EOs.

I not exactly sure, but Valerie Wormwood may cover it to some degree (not indepth though) in one of her books and I can't remember which one it was that I was going through. Arg.

the apparatus on that u-tube video looks just like the ones I had found on the web, and also on ebay. I found some simpler set-ups, but they just deposit the hydrosol and oil into a small beaker, and even though they are separated... they wouldn't stay that way when you try to pour it out.

Scented, your train of thought completely reminds me of my own. I have some thought deep in my brain... but I just can't get ahold of it. :)

From what I've read it seems like quite a process, including a big wait once you have actually distilled the oils so they can finish developing. I was also hoping I might find someone who had the steam distiller and was looking to get rid of it as they had moved on to other projects. No such luck, though.

It's something else to have thoughts stuck isn't it? ha!

OK it's her yellow book, which ... ok I'm looking it up now since that book is in the car and I'm not lol.

Valerie Worwood The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy. I just am pretty sure I saw something on distilling your own, but it isn't a lengthy chapter so I doubt it is indepth.

Look up Birdie and shoot her a PM and maybe see if this is something she is still pursuing. She's probably still a little busy, but I think she'll respond to ya.

I also have had this thought in the back of my mind but only decent looking steam distiller is $400 and I don't want to invest that much before I truly figure out what I'm getting into.

I have the above referened Worwood book & a 1 page explanation of making your own essential oils & making a do it yourself still. I can't see me doing the still in the kitchen & then using a pipette to suck off the floating essential oil.

I have "Hydrosols the next aromatherapy" by Suzanne Catty and it has quite a bit more info the the subject so I will read this and then report back since I'm not the onlyone interested. I got into this idea cause I grow a lot of herbs and felt they could go to so much more use....especially when I see what they get for the finished product.

I have seen the process done at a local lavender farm... and since I grow my own lavender I was really intrested... but 20 lavender bushes only yeilds about 10 pounds of blossoms anually. So, not enough to make anything with in that regard.

If I remember correctly, they had almost 100 pounds in their distiller and got ounces, not pounds, of oil out of that.

I knew it was something like that or it wouldn't be that expensive for us to buy. That's why I wanted a small distiller since I won't be making huge amounts. May always be just a pipe dream or maybe I'll have DH make me a copper one and I can make mash at the same time!!!!!!!

I think the yields vary so much from one plant/herb/seed to another. I had read some about the lavender being kind of tough as well. I just liked the idea of being able to use the oil and the hydrosol, and also being able to support local farmers and provide a local essential oil. It's looking really involved at this point. I almost think I would need a little shack in the back yard to do it in so I wouldn't have to deal with the scent soaking into the walls of the house. Perhaps I'll start doing some involved reading now... and then when I need a new project to pursue... and have a huge disposable income... then I'll do it. And that will happen approximately.... ya, never. My mind just never stops so I'll probably jump in soon, and stink us all out of the house. :)