M&P Soap adds

CranberryGirl

Good Morning!

I am going to ba making my first batch of M&P soap this week...I bought BCN's Goatsmilk base..And I was wondering as I start to Learn is there stuff I can add to My M&P? To make it more then just a goats milk soap?

Or should I leave alone till I start making HP and or CP?

Thanks a Bunch!!!

Tara

I've added lots of stuff to my M&P altho there is a gal on this forum that adds lots more than me, but I've added ground oatmeal & honey, ground coffee beans, white corn meal (for a exfoliator). Do a search on M&P, there is alot on here to read up on. Here's one I found for you to start with. HTH :)

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=bbrecipes;action=display;num=1111202929;start=27#27

This is a 2 page thread and when you click on that link it will take you to pg 2, so make sure you see page 1. Sorry about that

W:shocked2:W Mary thanks for that link, I've been wanting to add stuff to mine but have been so afraid too. That has some GREAT info!! I'm so excited to get my castor oil from the co-op so I can add that for lather. I'm assuming the more stuff you add maybe the more c. oil I should add so it lathers goods- is that correct??

M&P stands for Melt and Pour. It's a bit simplified way to make soap, starting with a premade base.

Ahh, and is lye a required ingredient? Is there an alternate to this ingredient? Is it possible to make soap with more "natural" ingredients, or do you need certain ingredients in order for it to act like and be soap? :)

Ahh, and is lye a required ingredient? Is there an alternate to this ingredient? Is it possible to make soap with more "natural" ingredients, or do you need certain ingredients in order for it to act like and be soap? :)

Regardless of what ANYBODY says to you, you need lye to have soap..HOWEVER M&P soap has already been through the oil saponification process, and by the time you buy it, the lye part has been taken care of. :)

When soap is done curing, the lye is gone, and you don't have to worry about it's caustic affects any more, When you CP, you now have a bar of soap that has only the ingredients that you have selected and added, minus the lye which has reacted with the oils and is now glycerin and soap. This process takes a lot longer in CP soap, because no added heat is used, and the reason that HP soaping, and CP OP soaping produces a bar you can use much quicker is because it does add heat to the process, hurrying along the chemical reaction between the lye and oils, and becoming "soap" much sooner!

With Melt and Pour soap, the lye part has already been done, and what is left for you to do is add fragrance, color, and your imagination!

Regardless of what ANYBODY says to you, you need lye to have soap..HOWEVER M&P soap has already been through the oil saponification process, and by the time you buy it, the lye part has been taken care of. :)

When soap is done curing, the lye is gone, and you don't have to worry about it's caustic affects any more, When you CP, you now have a bar of soap that has only the ingredients that you have selected and added, minus the lye which has reacted with the oils and is now glycerin and soap. This process takes a lot longer in CP soap, because no added heat is used, and the reason that HP soaping, and CP OP soaping produces a bar you can use much quicker is because it does add heat to the process, hurrying along the chemical reaction between the lye and oils, and becoming "soap" much sooner!

With Melt and Pour soap, the lye part has already been done, and what is left for you to do is add fragrance, color, and your imagination!

Awesome! Thank you very much for the explanation. Now it makes more sense! :)